Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Any plans for South America?

VGER
Explorer C

Does Southwest have any plans to expand into South America? It seems like it would be a great opportunity, since so many Americans are becoming expats in South America and sadly, most of the flights are either jaw-dropping expensive, by those "charge you to take a deep breath" airlines, or both. 

Southwest's "no extra fee to check baggage" would be a huge differentiator, as well. 

Finally, if it were easier and cheaper to visit her, my Nana would be so happy!

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Any plans for South America?

floridaguy
Aviator C

I doubt that you will see this anytime soon.  Keep in mind that once you leave the US, you will buy fuel at the going rate in those foreign countries.  There are many variables to such a decision.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Southwest currently serves the United States and 10 additional countries, clearly they are well versed in operating in other countries and do so at competitive prices.  If you look at where they go though you will see the commonality is the destinations are all big for American tourism.  While many South American cities are popular destinations, they are not as hot for tourism as a Jamaica, Costa Rica, or Aruba.  My guess is you're more likely to see Canada added sooner than later, but I'm not sure South America makes the cut given the hottest tourism cities such as Rio de Janeiro might be too far for a 737.  I'll let someone else check that.

You're certainly welcome to write Southwest and suggest your favorite destinations.  Use the contact us link below and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Never did I suggest anything about Southwest failing to be "well versed in operating in other countries".  

My comments are limited to what is written.  I would suggest that you re-read the post and refrain from inserting comments that were not raised in my response.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy not every post is directed to you. I suggest you reread my post and look for your name. Hint... It's not there.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Never did I suggest anything about Southwest failing to be "well versed in operating in other countries".  

My comments are limited to what is written.  I would suggest that you re-read the post and refrain from inserting comments that were not raised in my response.

You do realize when another user responds to a post they will show up under you right? This doesn’t mean they are replying to you 

in this case you would know if he responded to you because it would probably have the @floridaguy in the post (remember you always get mad when he tags you in this case he didn’t gag you so the reply was not for you) 

please don’t pick on the middle seat he saves me from that awful seat by taking it himself 😂

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

Currently, I believe the most likely new international destination for SW will be Kingston, Jamaica as they only serve Montego Bay right now. I've seen articles about this being talked about. Other than that there are still more Mexico and Caribbean airports along with Canada that SW will likely add first.

I could maybe see Colombia in the future with Cali, Cartagena, Medellin, and/or Barranquilla. There's a possibly of Ecuador or Peru (Guayaquil or Lima respectively) utilizing the 737 Max aircraft, likely from Orlando or another Florida airport. 

Obviously, any of this would be years out as they're still working on recovering their pre pandemic network. They have plenty of expansion opportunities, both domestic and international. I've loved a lot of their recent expansions and look forward to more growth.

Andrew E

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

no too far for plane

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

no too far for plane

It's a bit far for the 737's unfortunately, they wouldn't be able to go from Houston to Buenos Aires or Houston to Rio. Even FLL to Rio is too far. 

Oakland to Hawaii is half as far, Seattle to Atlanta also half as far.

Without a layover it would a challenge due to the distance. If they can setup a transfer point at one of the other airports then it could work.

That's also pretty far for business travelers without a premium cabin - those long distance routes it is desirable to have a couple of options for people that want to pay more for extra space.

TL;DR - Columbia, Peru, or Venezuela maybe? Brazil, Chile, and Argentina are long-shots without a connection.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

MoeNavyVet
Explorer C

I think SWA could easily reach a lot destinations in Colombia and Ecuador from their Florida and Texas locations. It would be great to see Southwest expand service to Bogota and or Medellin, Colombia. The current flights servicing those locations by Avianca, JetBlue and Spirit are always full.