Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Booking International Travel from West Coast

kavinp
Explorer C

So my wife and I have been searching international travel destinations on Southwest, and it's really frustrating to try and book travel from the West Coast. I'd be flying out of SNA or LAX, but it shows a lot of the itineraries as "unavailable" going there, but then shows a flight returning back. I've called Southwest, and was told that since it's international, I have to book my flight there separately. I have to book my domestic flight on one confirmation number, then book the international flight on another confirmation number. That sounds totally ludacris to me. Any other airline has systems that can handle this, but Southwest after recently undergoing a huge reservation system upgrade can't?

My initial thinking was that the reason the flights won't pull up, is because no flight makes the connection in time. But most airlines would do this, and show a 24 hour layover. I'm fine with a layover, but  I want to see the options. It is making trying to find and price travel very difficult, and almost makes me want to book on another airline. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a system issue?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Booking International Travel from West Coast

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Your initial thinking about the flight not making the connection is correct. Southwest won't show you a connection that's not on the same day as you mentioned other airlines will do. Sadly, many international flights with connections from the west coast will require an overnight layover and two separate reservations, one for the first leg, and another for the second leg. 

kavinp
Explorer C
@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Your initial thinking about the flight not making the connection is correct. Southwest won't show you a connection that's not on the same day as you mentioned other airlines will do. Sadly, many international flights with connections from the west coast will require an overnight layover and two separate reservations, one for the first leg, and another for the second leg. 

Hi TheMiddleSeat,

Thanks for your response. I feel like SW should allow it, but just note that there is a long layover. That way at least it gives me the option. I feel like most people flying out of California would just say, well guess SW doesn't fly there. And then search other airlines. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I totally agree it would be nice if they did provide the overnight layover option. Maybe it's something we'll see later when they start utilizing new features in the new reservation system. We may also see red eye flights which could let you connect with a morning flight to international destinations. Red eyes were not allowed in the old reservation system, but are allowed now.