Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Cancellations

DisneyDad64
Explorer C

2 flights cancelled for my family in the last 9 days.  Both times we were told it was weather issues, but it is curious that other airlines are not cancelling their flights on the same routes.  Very concerned about the state of Southwest flights reading things not only here but on the internet/news feeds.  It is concerning that this is happening and they blame it on weather when in most cases that doesn't appear to be the cause, but even more concerning is that I called customer service and they said there was nothing they could do to compensate for the inconveniences from the changes.  Both time my family has had to book hotel rooms at added expense to deal with the cancelled/changed flights.  I sent in emails to customer service and I am waiting to hear back but we have 2 upcoming trips and have serious concerns about booking Southwest right now.  Would rather pay more in baggage fees etc and get flights that stay on schedule than be stuck and have to book hotels.  

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Cancellations

jksobonya
Aviator A

The flight cancellations have certainly been due to a) weather and b) technological issues, as reported here: 

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Check-In-Boarding/Southwest-in-process-of-resuming-normal-operati... 

And here:

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Check-In-Boarding/Airline-and-bank-websites-go-down-in-another-ma... 

The problems have not been unique to Southwest. 

--Jessica

DisneyDad64
Explorer C

Why are other airlines still flying from Nashville to Baltimore where todays flight was cancelled "due to weather"?  And the technical issue you refer to was 2 weeks ago.  Sorry, not buying in on either excuse.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Southwest is the only airline with nonstop BNA-BWI today and only one of four flights was canceled.

Screenshot_20210630-134514_flightview elite.jpg

--TheMiddleSeat

DisneyDad64
Explorer C

Looking at the flight route and understanding flights into the Washington area airports (ZDC) shows even other Southwest flights are leaving Nashville and flying into the area.  Meanwhile the flight is still scheduled to be leaving Pensacola and arriving into Nashville.  So why can another plane fly into DCA or BWI yet this flight cannot "due to weather"?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DisneyDad64 wrote:

Looking at the flight route and understanding flights into the Washington area airports (ZDC) shows even other Southwest flights are leaving Nashville and flying into the area.  Meanwhile the flight is still scheduled to be leaving Pensacola and arriving into Nashville.  So why can another plane fly into DCA or BWI yet this flight cannot "due to weather"?

You   need to look more closely.

Different airports "in the area" can have dramatically different conditions 

for example RIGHT NOW

DCA shows 80% of arrivals and 90% of departure are on time.

BWI is a very different story 

BWI shows 40% or arrivals and 60% of departure's are on time

How could that be? The are both "in the area."

https://www.flightview.com/airport/BWI-Baltimore-MD/delay

DisneyDad64
Explorer C

So 6 hours ago when the flight was cancelled they knew the weather window would be this way?  And clear up in the following few hours to allow the next flight to BWI to go ahead? 

Southwest canceled 287 Saturday flights, or 8% of its flights, as of 5:30 p.m. ET, after canceling 254 Friday flights, or 6% percent of its flights, according to flight tracker FlightAware. It had the most cancellations of any U.S. carrier, in total and as a percentage of flights, each day.

Tardy flights are a big issue, too: Southwest delayed nearly 1,600  Friday flights, or 43% of its flights, more than any U.S. airline, and so far Saturday has delayed 960  flights, or 28% of its flights, according to FlightAware.

Again, not saying weather may not be factoring in, but the way customer service is trying to pass it off as the only cause is insulting.  

DisneyDad64
Explorer C

You   need to look more closely.

Different airports "in the area" can have dramatically different conditions 

for example RIGHT NOW

DCA shows 80% of arrivals and 90% of departure are on time.

BWI is a very different story 

BWI shows 40% or arrivals and 60% of departure's are on time

How could that be? The are both "in the area."

Perhaps because Southwest is a major airlines in BWI and cancelling so many flights where the other airports are not as skewed by all the Southwest cancellations today?

gsking
Aviator C

I never considered BWI and DCA to be in the same area.   The drive certainly isn't short,  and the weather is never the same.  

DisneyDad64
Explorer C

30 miles apart, and last I checked the weather didn't care about driving time and use of highways . . . and never the same when only 30 miles apart?