Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked baggage fears

Peach_Pooff
Explorer C

I’ll be attending a costume convention soon, and as such I will be bringing multiple bulky costumes along with me in my checked baggage. I am absolutely terrified that something will happen and my bags will not arrive with me at my destination in time-

Is there anything I can do to maximize my chances that my bags will not be delayed?

I originally booked a one way flight, but this flight was cancelled and the only alternatives offered to me were 1 stop flights with about an hour and a half layover. I’m the most worried that they will not make it onto my connecting flight with me. In the event that they are delayed, is there a chance that they will reach me before the event is over (three day event)? 
TLDR: how can I prevent my bags from being delayed, and if it happens anyway how long before I can get them back? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Checked baggage fears

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

me too baggage claim adds to vacation time being gone

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Could your bag get lost?  Yes.

Could the plane crash?  Yes. 

Could you get run over crossing the street on your way to the airport?  Yes.  

Could you... ? Yes.

In short, lots of things COULD happen, but the odds are in your favor.  IF (large if) a bag is lost in transit various factors such as where it got lost and how many flights there are daily between where it is and where it needs to go play a part in determining how soon it would get to you.  It could get to you a few hours later than your arrival, or never get to you.

Can you do anything to reduce the risk?  Well, non-stop flights eliminate a transfer spot, but that doesn't appear to be an option for you.  Having an hour and a half between flights gives the bag plenty of time to make the connection.  Make sure your contact info is on the bag and even on a piece of paper inside the bag.  Other than that I don't have any magic words that will reassure you, sometimes you just have to have faith in the system to work, which it does most of the time.

If you can pack any items in carry-on baggage that helps too since it would always be with you, but you said bulky which seems to eliminate that option.

--TheMiddleSeat

Peach_Pooff
Explorer C

This was excellently put- thank you!
With covid I’ve become so high strung about my trips. I feel like if I can’t squeeze the most fun out of them possible I’ll be doomed.

Your response is both grounding and helpful- I will definitely be coming back to it these next few weeks 😂

dfwskier
Aviator A

You could take an earlier flight (the day before?) which would allow more time for a lost bag to catch up with you.

rich1954
Adventurer A

Fedex your bags ahead.