Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Connecting flight / Baggage Question

28Kristen28
Explorer C

Hi Everyone - 

I'm sure this has been asked but I am unable to find something recent so I figured I'd ask.  And I recently read that the check in counters are closed in PHL so I need to tag my bag and put it on the belt itself? So I'm not sure I would even be able to ask anyone at the airport.

I am flying out of PHL, changing planes in MDW and final destination is LAS. I didn't book separate flights, they just didn't have anything for non-stop so this was my only option.

1.) Do I have to check in to both the PHL to MDW flight & the MDW to LAS flight? 

I would think I would need to check into both? 

2.) If I check my bags in at PHL, will I need to pick them up in MDW or will they be transferred by Southwest to my next flight? 

This is making me so nervous I'm tempted to just do carry on but the last time I did this,            there was no room on my flight for any more bags and they ended up checking in my bag.

Squeezed everything into the proper size carry on to have it checked anyway, lol. 

Thank you!

Kristen 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Connecting flight / Baggage Question

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

Do I have to check in to both the PHL to MDW flight & the MDW to LAS flight? 

I've never flown a multi-leg Southwest flight, so I'm not sure with this, but I don't think so.

2.) If I check my bags in at PHL, will I need to pick them up in MDW or will they be transferred by Southwest to my next flight? 

If the tickets were bought as one itinerary, there is no need to collect your bags and recheck them.

Andrew E

DEN Based | Aviation Enthusiast

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

dfwskier
Aviator A

@28Kristen28 wrote:

Hi Everyone - 

.  And I recently read that the check in counters are closed in PHL

I suspect that is not true No airline permanently shuts down a ticket / checkin counter/ Maybe something temporarily affected SW..

so I need to tag my bag and put it on the belt itself? So I'm not sure I would even be able to ask anyone at the airport.

A southwest employee is required by TSA/FAA regs  to take your bag WHY?  because that person must ask you questions about the bag before the airline can accept it.

I am flying out of PHL, changing planes in MDW and final destination is LAS. I didn't book separate flights, they just didn't have anything for non-stop so this was my only option.

1.) Do I have to check in to both the PHL to MDW flight & the MDW to LAS flight? 

If you really have a connecting flight, then your bag will be tagged PHL / LAS. 

NO. you wold not pick it up in Chicago.  Southwest will take your bag off the PHL / MDW flight and it will be put on the MDW / LAS plane.

It should be fine Kristen.

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

The checkin counters are closed at PHL? That's news to me - I believe *curbside checkin* might be closed, but as far as I know the regular checkin inside is fully operational! That is where you go to check your bags. They do have self-service kiosks there where you can check your bag yourself, but I have never done that myself; there is a full service desk where an agent can do everything for you and weigh/tag your bag. 

When you check in for your flight, you will get boarding passes for both legs of your trip!

Your bag will be checked to your final destination, so no need to worry about it at MDW! When you check your bag at PHL  they will verify your final destination and you will see them put a pink transfer tag on your bag and that is how they will know to check it to your final destination. 

--Jessica

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Summarizing:

• Likely only curbside check in closed. You will probably have the option to tag the bag yourself, but you will hand it to someone at the baggage desk. If you need assistance, you can go thru that line/option as well. More here on baggage check hours.
  • If you have one ticket for the whole trip, you bag will be tagged at check in to your final destination, and you will not have to pick it up in MDW...as was shared below.

Happy flying!

-A List, Companion Pass holder