Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

DEN weather cancellations today

denno
Adventurer B

Today is a "weather day" in Denver.  WN cancelled everything in DEN and COS after the overnight aircraft left this morning.  Meanwhile the "Big 3" have been operating all day.   The main snowfall isn't expected until tonight and tomorrow.  What's the deal?  Did somebody in flight ops or dispatch jump the gun?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: DEN weather cancellations today

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Cautious and proactive with unpredictable weather. That's Colorado in March. Sorry if affected your plans. 

--TheMiddleSeat

denno
Adventurer B

Here's what you're missing from my post: AA, DL and UA operated Saturday.  What was OK for them and not for WN?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@denno wrote:

Here's what you're missing from my post: AA, DL and UA operated Saturday.  What was OK for them and not for WN?

I understood what "big 3" meant. I still think it was a cautious approach as I originally stated, that's the difference. Sometimes you're right, sometimes your wrong. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Sometimes it's not just about the weather at the airport but can include caring for the staff if the storm is expected to get bad it wouldn't be nice of an airline to keep employees stranded at the airport. 

Also by the airline being proactive it gives you the customer a chance to plan ahead  instead of waiting till 2 hours before the flight to say oh no now I need a hotel last minute. 

-Blake

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

Basically, Southwest wants to be able to keep their plane available to fly the rest of their flights minus Colorado. The big 3 take the risk, Southwest didn't want to. It is frustrating but it's a business decision to not risk the rest of their flight schedule being affected.

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest