Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged walker

Nama
Explorer C

I always travel with Southwest and never had a problem. I recently returned after a 9 hour flight home to Austin. I was exhausted and when we got our baggage I just wanted to go home. I traveled with a walker and when my granddaughter brought it to me I was horrified. My handle was broken off and was just thrown in the basket underneath the seat that was also broken. This handle is connected to the brakes. I’m sorry but this was a piece of medical equipment and should have been handled delicately. It was just left there broken, not a note or anything saying I’m sorry or anything. I’m just disappointed at them. I’m sure it was done at the Austin airport because the broken handle was still with it. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Damaged walker

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Did you file a claim?

https://www.southwest.com/help/baggage/lost-damaged-baggage

--TheMiddleSeat

Nama
Explorer C

I didn’t file a claim. I just was upset that they broke the arm off my walker and just left the arm on my walker at baggage. They know they broke it and never left a note saying it was damaged. This is a medical equipment and should have been handled with care. The handle controls my brakes

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Nama wrote:

I didn’t file a claim. I just was upset that they broke the arm off my walker and just left the arm on my walker at baggage. They know they broke it and never left a note saying it was damaged. This is a medical equipment and should have been handled with care. The handle controls my brakes

If you are upset and want to be reimbursed anything then you need to file a claim or initiate in some way. Usually this is within four hours of arrival but I'd give it a try in this case anyway.

Otherwise use the Contact Southwest Customer Service to let them know directly and maybe they can offer a voucher.

The baggage handler won't necessarily have anything to leave a note, the expectation especially for an obvious damage like that would be that you go straight to the baggage office and file a claim.

I'm not sure if for the walker if you have a limited liability that you sign off it was gate checked. As others have mentioned there are some scenarios for baby gear where they don't technically owe anything for a damaged item handing you a bucket of parts, but if they lose it then they have to pay. But I think they would consider offering a voucher in this case if you ask.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.