Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Day Trip to Chicago: Recommendations?

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

My wife and I are taking a day trip (9a-4p) to Chicago on Saturday. It's our first time to this city, so we need some recos on travel, food, museums, whatever!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Day Trip to Chicago: Recommendations?

jksobonya
Aviator A

Oh man, there's so many great things. I barely know where to begin! I have only been to Chicago twice, but I LOVED it both times! Since you are going in December, I highly recommend going to Millennium Park and seeing not only 'The Bean' but the incredible Christmas tree there. I'd post a picture if I could - it's the most amazing tree I've ever seen!  Willis (Sears) Tower is also a must, in my opinion. As far as food, I've had deep dish pizza at Uno's and Lou Malnoti's and both were amazing. Al's Italian Beef is also incredible, and there are plenty of places that sell Chicago-style hot dogs. I am hungry now 😄 

Enjoy your day trip!!

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lunch with @DancingDavidE or @chgoflyer?

They would probably at least be able to suggest a few good places to go. 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

That's a tight window with so many things to choose from!

Lunch sounds like a no-brainer but we'll need to narrow down what else you want to do. The Art Institute is one of the great museums in town that will have items you can't see elsewhere. Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Field Museum, or even Musuem of Science and Industry are all good as well but you may have similar musuems available to you and with appeal to kids. Terzo Piano in the museum is great, but there are also numerous good places for lunch on Michigan Avenue nearby or into the loop. 

Orange Line can get you from MDW to the loop area if you'll be touristing there.

I like both 875 N. Michigan (f/k/a John Hancock Center) observatory or lounge, and of course Willis Tower (f/k/a Sears Tower) has a great observatory as well. Willis is more convenient to the Orange Line.

Anyway - narrow down the interest in a few attractions first and then we can talk restaurants.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ksbrg wrote:

My wife and I are taking a day trip (9a-4p) to Chicago on Saturday. It's our first time to this city, so we need some recos on travel, food, museums, whatever!

Christkindlmarket is open too in Daley Plaza, check out the Picasso and grab some gluewein and schnitzel. 

I should mention for the Art Institute in my other post there is a huge Warhol exhibit right now that is extremely popular, so you may need to look into tickets as opposed to walking up.

The Bean. Architectural walking tour if it isn't too cold - I think the River version may be closed by December unfortunately which would be my no-brainer recommendation when you come back in warmer weather. You can visit one of several architectural exhibits though at the Cultural Center and also at the Architecture Center on Wacker.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

This is great stuff; thanks everyone.

Here's what's on our list at the moment:

- The Little Goat

- Lou's

- Millennium Park

- Art Institute

- Richard's Bar

- Green Door Tavern

That seems like a pretty full day, but there are a few other places Kelli has sent to me (Cindy's Rooftop, Miracle Mile). We will see how many we can get to!

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

We did it!

We watched the sun come up on our way from DAL to MDW, then watched it set on our way from MDW to DAL. We didn't get to all of the recommendations, but we did enjoy our first time to Chicago. We will absolutely be back!

Thank you for all your recos!

EEA8BD01-CDAB-447F-A3BB-41D1516F5FC9.JPG97A262A7-B843-4D16-945F-75C42DF59E63.JPGIMG_9385.jpgIMG_9431.JPGED92F281-C76E-49A9-B169-8DC987924590.JPG897E24C8-ACA5-4E3D-8EC0-8782A1B33A74.JPG