Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Destinations from a start point

Profman2
Explorer B

Southwest seems to have made it very painful for many of us to use the international destinations, trying to find out how to book to many of the locations from the airport of our origin.  As my example, try to fly from Reno to Puerto Vallarta any time and any date. No possibility.  You have to try and figure out what airport you can fly to Puerto Vallarta from (which is almost immpossible without just trying locations) and when you do, arrange an entirely separate flight to that location to somehow match with the second trip from that location to Puerto Vallarta and back. And you have to go claim any luggage and recheck it back in and back through security between these flights.  This is extremely poor and would seem ridiculous.  Either give us the ability to book to all locations even if it means additional transfers or long flights or at a minimum give us an easy way to find out what airports we must fly from to reach our final destination.  Please Southwest, especially as more of us retire and perhaps travel even more, make it right for us.

Signed, a 15 year A List Preferred Member

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Destinations from a start point

uygi
Explorer C

Use the Route Map tool, then check the box "Nonstop Only".  The route map is completely useless without that box checked (it will just show arcs to every airport in the network, regardless of whether it will sell you a ticket).  Then any time you mouse over an airport node, it'll show you every destination.

Your real problem is... you're in Reno.  International flights with a connection are rough on Southwest, especially whern going east, as there are no overnight flights.  Southwest also has relatively few flights to most international destinations.  Since it won't generate you an overnight layover (a live agent might be able to?), it just won't allow the routing.  As you say, the "solution" is to book two different itineraries.

I occasionally will have an itinerary I know is good (1+ hour connection) that the system won't book through for me.  Not sure why- maybe it wants longer connection times for international departutres?

Re: Destinations from a start point

morrisy18
Explorer C

I have the same problem flying out of Phoenix.  I love flying them domestically but trying to even look up a complete international flight is impossible.  I don't even try anymore.  I've been flying them for at least 20yrs and would love to fly them internationally but it's not worth the hassle especially since a lot of there flights aren't the cheapest anymore.  I think this is the 1st airline I've ever seen that offers international flights but you can't book or even lookup a complete ticketed route.  I'm hoping this new ticket system they are getting ready to roll out will take care of it but I have a feeling it won't.  

Las Vegas

Glangis
Explorer C

I've been flying SWA since the beginning. Was a A-list preferred for several years before retirement. Now A list. I too was excited about international flights. However my frst try was a disaster. Vegas to LAX to Cabo took 7 hours. The return via HOU was almost as bad. Worse part was when we landed in Cabo we learned that the LAX ground crew didn't give the flight crew the right immigration cards so we sat on the plane another 45 minutes. I will chalk it up to growing pains. Flying FLL to Nassau soon. If not better I won't fly SWA out of the US anymore.

Re: Las Vegas

ddart
Explorer B

Flown SW twice internationally out of Buffalo through BWI with no issues.  One trip to Cancun, the other Liberia (Costa Rica).  Yes, the recheck of bags and through security is a bit tedious but it works and the flight cost savings is worth it.

Re: Las Vegas

Profman2
Explorer B

There really is next to no differences in many other carriers now in price. Especially when you can get rid of the hassle of having to bookend to another location around your international flight.  And I'm not speaking of any flight the=at requires any overnight stay involved.  In my case, I can book a very early morning flight to Orange County then a flight two hours later to Puerto Vallarta, and the same in the reverse.  Both sets of flights, each occuring on a one day for each direction.  There is no explainable reason why we should have to book two separate itinaries for a flight to an international location when your talking the same day and the same airline.