Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Direct flights from BWI to AUA

tthompson725
Explorer C

Why did Southwest eliminated direct flights from BWI to AUA?  Do they plan on adding them back?  Will they be flying direct during the week or only on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays?  The demand is definitely there and unfortunately because of this the cost of the flights are now typically over $1,000 making Aruba a destination almost unaffordable.  Please add the direct flights back from BWI to AUA.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Direct flights from BWI to AUA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Non-stop BWI-AUA is currently available on Saturdays.  Additionally, Sunday non-stops begin March 12.  It appears that schedule runs through the available schedule which currently goes until mid August.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tthompson725 wrote:

Why did Southwest eliminated direct flights from BWI to AUA?  Do they plan on adding them back?  Will they be flying direct during the week or only on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays?  The demand is definitely there and unfortunately because of this the cost of the flights are now typically over $1,000 making Aruba a destination almost unaffordable.  Please add the direct flights back from BWI to AUA.

Speaking only from the customer perspective - if the demand for the route is depending on vacation / leisure travel right now then if there is predominantly a need for people to come and go from Aruba on weekly trips then the Saturday/Sunday flights are what is needed between those markets.

I put in Chicago to see what other gateway airports are available. It looks like there is daily service through MCO that's a bit cheaper. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

For vacations I fly on points to Aruba. My direct flight from BWI, when I booked it, equated to about $400.00 per person just 2 weeks ago. Now I bought that tkt. the day they opened sales last summer.  As with almost any fare the closer you book to the planned travel date the higher the fare.

Why are there fewer direct flights from BWI to AUA?  Good Question. Both our outbound and return flights were 100% full, not a single empty seat.

Safe Travels 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

For vacations I fly on points to Aruba. My direct flight from BWI, when I booked it, equated to about $400.00 per person just 2 weeks ago. Now I bought that tkt. the day they opened sales last summer.  As with almost any fare the closer you book to the planned travel date the higher the fare.

Why are there fewer direct flights from BWI to AUA?  Good Question. Both our outbound and return flights were 100% full, not a single empty seat.

Safe Travels 

Especially with points when you re-price the ticket the points just go back to your account, so you don't have to carry a travel credit. Smart!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.