Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Does SW plan service to Colorado Springs?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ok Southwest, here's your chance to get in while the "competition" is weak. 

Frontier cancels seasonal flights out of the Colorado Springs Airport

https://krdo.com/news/2020/01/08/frontier-cancels-seasonal-flights-out-of-the-colorado-springs-airpo...

@AshleyMainzand @NicoleAshley, you're super powerful and have connections, make it happen! 

--TheMiddleSeat

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@TheMiddleSeat Lol—I personally stand behind the Oz curtain when it comes to decisions like that, but we always appreciate the feedback. While we'd love to fly to Colarado Springs, we can't make any promises at this time. You're always welcome to submit it as a suggestion via the Contact Us options below. Thanks!

Nicole
Community Manager

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

It's happening!!!!! "First half of 2021"

KKTV: Southwest Airlines to begin service at Colorado Springs Airport next year

https://www.kktv.com/2020/10/22/southwest-airlines-to-begin-service-at-colorado-springs-airport-next...

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Just saw this was the top news story on the 8am Fox 21 newscast.  Lots of excitement about this announcement!!

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

I literally just saw this too! Exciting!!

--Jessica

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

13 daily non-stops from Colorado Springs beginning March 11

Four daily flights to Denver International Airport, three flights to Dallas Love Field Airport and two flights each to Las Vegas, Phoenix and Chicago Midway International Airport

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Maybe I missed it?  What's the hoopla about flying in and out of Colorado Springs?  It's not like it's Steamboat Springs or Telluride where you can go skiing.  I'm just curious unless you're enrolling in the Air Force academy.  FYI, this isn't a knock against it, I'm really that curious. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Maybe I missed it?  What's the hoopla about flying in and out of Colorado Springs?  It's not like it's Steamboat Springs or Telluride where you can go skiing.  I'm just curious unless you're enrolling in the Air Force academy.  FYI, this isn't a knock against it, I'm really that curious. 

Oh I don't know, maybe it's the close to 700,000 people that live here that would love to not have to fly Frontier and are thrilled to not have to drive an hour and a half to get to a Southwest airport.  Constantly rated one of the top cities in the US to live in, home to the US Olympic Training Center, Pikes Peak, numerous military bases and related defense contractors, and a few colleges... there's much more than just the Academy.  All together there is a good mix of demand for business and leisure travel to COS.

Since you seem to be familiar with Phoenix, you might compare Colorado Springs to Tucson, which also has service from Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

Does SW plan service to Colorado Springs?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

That is actually a fantastic reply.  I'm sad to see you left out Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, and so on.  I drive through there on my way to Denver and always wondered.  And back in the day, actually did a one-week training camp at the Olympic Training Center.  I Coached team that competed against Colorado College and other area collegiate teams.  Maybe I just wasn't looking around.  Thanks for the enlightenment.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Also, just as quick to the  Summit County ski areas via Colordo 24 to Colorado 9 as from Denver - much quicker than via I- 70 on high traffic days.

I did it many times when Western Pacific flew out of the Springs.

The drive back to the Springs at night can be a bit disconcerting when there are literally hundreds of eyes watching you as you drive thru Wilkerson Pass. (deer, elk?).