Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Don’t seem to mind messing up people’s schedules!

Glennmcafe2000
Explorer C

There’s been only a few times flying this airline where it wasn’t delayed. How I. The world do you have a 2.5 hr delay this time??? This is surely not inspirational...

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Don’t seem to mind messing up people’s schedules!

Glennmcafe2000
Explorer C

Update: I didn’t check-in until 4 hours before my flight time, and I got boarding group B.. This is important because boarding group B is like 2/3 full. I suspect they cancelled this flight because it wasn’t full.. how F’ed up is that??? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

No airline cancels flights for load factor reasons. Why? That messes up future plans for where the plane and the crew are supposed to be for next flights.

I've been on several Southwest flights that didn;t have many passengers. One in particular was a Dallas to Chicago flight last year that had about 20 passengers on a plane tht seats 175.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Glennmcafe2000 wrote:

Update: I didn’t check-in until 4 hours before my flight time, and I got boarding group B.. This is important because boarding group B is like 2/3 full. I suspect they cancelled this flight because it wasn’t full.. how F’ed up is that??? 

They certainly do fly many flights at the end of the day that aren't as full, which is necessary to get the planes into position for the next morning. If you are suggesting a midday flight was canceled arbitrarily due to passenger load, I'm sure that's not true as it would be disruptive to the schedule the rest of the day.

If there was some weather complication and they realized a need to cancel one flight, then I'm sure in the same position I'd cancel the one that impacted the fewest people, which might have been yours. 

It's hard to say for sure what happened if the original aircraft wasn't the one directly affected by weather, maintenance, or whatever.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Lmkel68
Adventurer C

My flight last month was cancelled and I had to fly out the NEXT morning. If you go to twitter, you will see the same generic response to the cancellations.  I'm not sure what SW has going on but I hope they get it together.  All of these cancellations cannot be weather related.  My personal opinion is it has something to do with issues with their mechanics.

bec102896
Aviator A

@Lmkel68 wrote:

My flight last month was cancelled and I had to fly out the NEXT morning. If you go to twitter, you will see the same generic response to the cancellations.  I'm not sure what SW has going on but I hope they get it together.  All of these cancellations cannot be weather related.  My personal opinion is it has something to do with issues with their mechanics.

Southwest reached an agreement with the mechanics so that is not the problem. Currently the MAX8 is grounded which is affecting flights and yes weather has been a factor as well and will be in the coming days as well since there is some tropical moisture headed up from the gulf which could affect flights. Also with being told your flight was delayed or canceled due to weather the plane could have been affected by weather before arriving to you which is why they they would say your flight was delayed because of weather even if weather is perfect at your departure and arrival airport.