Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying International Out of Atlanta

shraffo
Explorer C

Hi, my fiance and I are excited to fly out at the end of this month to PUJ for our destination wedding! My question is where do I check-in and where do we land? Will we need to come through the domestic side to check our bags on the way to PUJ? And will we come out on the international side to go through customs?

We're trying to figure out how to get to the airport, and our preferred park-n-ride doesn't drop off on the domestic side.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Flying International Out of Atlanta

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Take a look at this previous thread. Short answer is domestic terminal.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/International-Travel/Atlanta-airport-for-international-flig...

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Take a look at this previous thread. Short answer is domestic terminal.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/International-Travel/Atlanta-airport-for-international-flig...

--TheMiddleSeat

I've gone in the international terminal with a mobile boarding pass and carry-on before while flying Southwest, but I don't believe there is a Southwest ticket agent at that end to check passports, etc. and you wouldn't be able to check luggage without that step.

Actually, clicking on @TheMiddleSeat's link shows that there isn't one, at least as of 2016. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

skippu
Explorer C

Assume I'm checking bags for the purpose of this.

Just to clarify, for an International itinerary out of Atlanta, I must check in at the Domestic Terminal.

But the way ATL works, the return flight you MUST exit via the International Terminal. That means no matter which side you park at, you must take the International Connector shuttle on one leg of the journey.

Do I understand this situation correctly?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@skippu wrote:

Assume I'm checking bags for the purpose of this.

Just to clarify, for an International itinerary out of Atlanta, I must check in at the Domestic Terminal.

But the way ATL works, the return flight you MUST exit via the International Terminal. That means no matter which side you park at, you must take the International Connector shuttle on one leg of the journey.

Do I understand this situation correctly?

Southwest does not have any counters in the International Terminal, so yes should should start a journey at the main terminal for Southwest if you are checking luggage. .Several websites out there are outdated that say any international travel should start at the international terminal, these haven't been updated to include Southwest's service that leaves from C concourse just like all other Southwest flights.

On the second question - it would be the same plane train that connects all of the A-F concourses if you are on the airside, but there is also a shuttle from the entrance to domestic terminal that runs on the landside of security.

I haven't flown international through ATL so I wasn't clear that you didn't end up in C concourse anyway, even returning from an international destination.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

lost and found

rchadwe852
Explorer C

Re: lost and found

bec102896
Aviator A

@rchadwe852

looks like your message didn't come though. Do you need help with something? 

Blake