Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Honolulu to Pittsburgh

michjome
Explorer C

Our daughter attends college in Honolulu.  We have flown to/from Honolulu from Pittsburgh twice in 2022 (March and Aug) using Southwest but now flights are unavailable between these two cities.  We have always had a layover in Las Vegas both ways on every flight I have booked to Hawaii via Southwest.  I can book Honolulu to Vegas and Vegas to Pittsburgh, but that results in a much more expensive flight since I am booking two separate trips just to get her to Pennsylvania.  They no longer do the connected flights between two cities.   Anyone know why have these flights disappeared on the website or if I can do this somehow? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Honolulu to Pittsburgh

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

There's something about the connection that makes it invalid. If you provide dates we can look at the details or you can look at the length of the layover and number of connections required to complete the trip, those are the usual issues. 

You can book it as two separate reservations if you think you can make the connection. 

--TheMiddleSeat

michjome
Explorer C

If you do ANY search between these two cities it shows that no flights are available from now until the end of the year!  It's not an option at all to fly between Pittsburgh & Honolulu - either direction anymore.  But specifically, I was looking for a one way trip to bring her home for summer on May 4 (Thurs).  I'll have to use another airline to get her home.  It looks like she would have to spend the night in Vegas and catch a morning flight home the next day.  And it would be more money to do two separate legs.  It didn't use to be this way so something changed with their flight schedule since last August.  BUMMER!

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest will not book flights that involve more than one plane change. That is your likely problem.

So in the past at least one of your flights home was a direct flight - stopping somewhere but then continuing on the same plane.. That flight was probably replaced with one where a flight with plane change replaced the direct flight.

You could check to see if there are flights to PIT from one of the other cities in Hawaii, and then book a flight to that city before resuming your way home.

Inter island is pretty inexpensive

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@michjome wrote:

If you do ANY search between these two cities it shows that no flights are available from now until the end of the year!  It's not an option at all to fly between Pittsburgh & Honolulu - either direction anymore.  But specifically, I was looking for a one way trip to bring her home for summer on May 4 (Thurs).  I'll have to use another airline to get her home.  It looks like she would have to spend the night in Vegas and catch a morning flight home the next day.  And it would be more money to do two separate legs.  It didn't use to be this way so something changed with their flight schedule since last August.  BUMMER!

It looks like you have to go through OGG - or have the layover there since it is a 7:30 a.m. departure.

DancingDavidE_0-1680263302662.png

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

When Hawaii flights first started I had to do an overnight in Vegas on the way home because no flights would connect to get me back to AUS so you may have to do a point to point booking to get to PIT 

example: HNL-SAN-PIT or try a different airport in Hawaii since usually inter islands flights are cheap and see if you can get to PIT from somewhere else (the point you point doesn’t technically have to be on the mainland) 

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

swa vacation?