Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Minor Traveling with My Adult Brother

siems_legit
Explorer C

Me and brother are going to Aruba next month. Im 17 and he's 20. He already bought his plane ticket, I haven't bought mine yet, since I'm still waiting for my passport to come in the mail. My question is that should we have bought our plane tickets together since I'm a minor? I read that you have to have the same internary, I was confused with what that meant. Or can I just get my ticket separate? since we would be on the same flights and would be together throught security and customs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Minor Traveling with My Adult Brother

franktravel
Aviator B

Children ages 12 and older are allowed to travel independently. However, we encourage parents to decide whether their children are capable of and comfortable with:

Negotiating all airports
Going through the checkin and boarding processes
Following crew members' instructions
Dealing with possible flight disruptions that may arise
If not, they strongly discourage allowing these Young Travelers to fly alone.

franktravel
Aviator B

Sorry for the last post

Minors under the age of 18 are not permitted to fly unaccompanied (without an adult, age 18 or older) on international flights or any itinerary that includes an international flight. If a minor is traveling with an adult, they must be listed on the same flight itinerary. Learn more about our Unaccompanied Minors policy.

siems_legit
Explorer C

Thanks for the response. I already knew you couldn't fly by yourself internationally if your a minor. My question was that how do you get listed on the same internary? 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @siems_legit,

You and your brother need to be booked on the same confirmation number. That's how you get listed on the same itinerary. When you're booking your flights, you can select the number of passengers that you need tickets for (in your case, 2). Your brother can cancel his current ticket and use the funds toward the purchase of a new reservation for both of you. Does that make sense?

Welcome - we're really excited to have you both traveling with us! 

siems_legit
Explorer C

Yes, that was very helpful! Thanks