Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

NW Arkansas?

Comtntrout
Explorer C

So many people moving from Colorado to NW Arkansas but can't seem to find a good way to get there. Seems to be a big hole in the route map. Am I missing something?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: NW Arkansas?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As a Coloradoan I couldn't imagine leaving, but to each his or her own.  As far as getting to NW Arkansas, would Tulsa be horrible to get to?  Your certainly welcome to shoot suggestions directly to Southwest, Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Looking at the Southwest route map here (https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html) in Arkansas the only airport I see that Southwest is servicing is Little Rock. My guess is that's the biggest airport around, and there are no other airports in the northern part of the state that would make sense for Southwest to go to. If you know of an airport, definitely feel free to suggest it!

--Jessica

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Looking at the Southwest route map here (https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html) in Arkansas the only airport I see that Southwest is servicing is Little Rock. My guess is that's the biggest airport around, and there are no other airports in the northern part of the state that would make sense for Southwest to go to. If you know of an airport, definitely feel free to suggest it!

--Jessica

Actually there is a regional airport for the area - XNA - NW. Arkansas regional airport. It serves a region of a little more than 500,000. Delta, UA, AA et. all provide service.

Southwest serve several metro areas smaller than XNA - Midland, Amarillo & Lubbock for exmple.

Walmart is HQd there, and the airport would be a southern gateway to the ozarks.

Comtntrout
Explorer C

Thanks so much @dfwskier , spot on!!!! I was honestly surprised at the hole in the map there considering the number of business and personal flights to that area. The airlines that do service that area were always booked solid (pre-Covid). 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Comtntrout wrote:

Thanks so much @dfwskier , spot on!!!! I was honestly surprised at the hole in the map there considering the number of business and personal flights to that area. The airlines that do service that area were always booked solid (pre-Covid). 

It still has 50 flights/day by the legacies + Allegiant and Frontier. There is some reason they are all there.

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

I think XNA could definitely be a future destination for Southwest, but don't take my word for it!

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

Sjrucker
Explorer C

I would love to see SW serve NWA at XNA. Tulsa is a little too far away. Mississippi State football team flew SW into XNA. 

mcfadden424
Explorer C

546,725 is the population of the immediate 3 counites in the metro.  The coverage area is probably a couple of million people, as XNA has closer proximity to Joplin, Fort Smith, Springfield/Branson metros than Tulsa or airports served by Southwest.  In 2019, XNA had 1,846,374 passengers while Springfield-Branson served 1,187,068 passengers.  Surprisingly Southwest, with their dominance in the South-Central part of the US, doesn't serve either of these areas.

Timothy8744
Explorer C

My guess is that's the biggest airport around, and there are no other airports in the northern part of the state that would make sense for Southwest to go to. If you know of an airport.