Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Name mismatch passport with companion

Aedrown
Explorer C

Hello,

I'm traveling to Cancun, Mexico from Houston for a vacation. My Southwest ticket has my married name, but my passport has my maiden name.

My US drivers license and match the name on my ticket.

I have a legal USA marriage certificate reflecting the name change.

I’ve seen the other thread with a similar question but I wanted to see if anyone had successfully traveled in this situation with a companion recently. That post was from 2017 so wanted to check. 

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Name mismatch passport with companion

gsking
Aviator C

Ha, we had this exact situation.   Same airport even. 

Call and have them change your name back to your maiden name on your passport.  This will avoid any hassle traveling.   You can change it back later. 

This may cause issues with existing travel funds, which may still be in your married name and can't easily be applied to flights under a different name.   But they will stay attached to your account and won't be lost. 

Can't see why it would affect a companion. 

Aedrown
Explorer C

Were you able to successfully change your name back on your account? The person I talked to said I needed a divorce decree to do that (which I obviously don't have). I'm going to try to call back and talk to a different person to see if they can help. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Seems like the only thing with the wrong name is the passport. If you have 4-6 weeks change the name on the passport via the mail. Since you are flying internationally the passport is what will be referenced, not any other ID, and must match the ticket. You may be able to have Southwest change the ticket, but that's going backwards so change the passport if you can. Your other option is to make an in person appointment at a passport office, here's one in Houston 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/get-fast/passport-agencies/houston.html

--TheMiddleSeat

Aedrown
Explorer C

Unfortunately I've tried to go there and there aren't any appointments available and I don't have the 4-6 weeks to do an expedited process. This definitely would have worked had I just had a little more time. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Aedrown As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here; however, you might find the below Knowledge Base article useful. Keep in mind that due to an unprecedented schedule revision, it's taking longer for our Social Care Team to respond.

Help! My name changed since I booked my flight. 

Nicole
Community Manager