Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Airports

Peeps
Explorer C

Will Southwest start flying out Phoenix-Mesa Gateway any time soon? Please consider. You would definitely be welcomed.

The only company that flies out of the airport now is Allegiant. 

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: New Airports

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's doubtful since Southwest already has a substantial presence at PHX and the Phoenix metro area isn't as large as a city like Chicago or Houston that will have two Southwest airports.  You'll just have to wait and see though, there's no way to know ahead of time before Southwest makes announcements.  You can submit requests and other ideas to Southwest, Contact Customer Relations 

--TheMiddleSeat

New Airports

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

To:  Middleseat

Here are the numbers off google maps.

Distance between Dallas airports, (which I hear is going to happen)   16.4 miles

Distance between Houston airports  29.7 miles

Distance between Chicago airports 31 miles

Distance between Phoenix airports,  21 miles.  

So I would say your reply doesn't hold water as much as if you would have stayed with you "Presence" stand.  Just FYI.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lol, if you interpret my response to be speaking strictly about mileage then you clearly did not understand it as intended. I love Phoenix, I'll take a burger from The Stand any day, but it is no Chicago or Houston. Could Mesa happen? Sure. So could hundreds of other airports in the country. I wish everyone that wanted Southwest at their airport could get service, but it doesn't work like that. 

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Distance between Dallas airports, (which I hear is going to happen)   16.4 miles

And this rumor doesn't fit too well with Southwest's own recent statements:

said Southwest spokesperson Dan Landson. "At this point, we are very happy with our service from Love Field and have no current plans to consider DFW."

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2020/10/13/southwest-airlines-dfw-airport.html

--TheMiddleSeat

New Airports

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@TheMiddleSeat 

And this rumor doesn't fit too well with Southwest's own recent statements:

said Southwest spokesperson Dan Landson. "At this point, we are very happy with our service from Love Field and have no current plans to consider DFW."

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2020/10/13/southwest-airlines-dfw-airport.html

--TheMiddleSeat

Another good tidbit.  I was just going off a post that was posted within the past weeks that this was going to happen, without much push back, not even from you, that this was pie in the sky.  In fact, I think I might have questioned why that was even going to happen in a post.  But appreciate you setting us, (mostly me) on the straight path on this topic.  

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Love Field is a well established hub for Southwest, and it sings.😃

I am a Sailor

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

That is NOT going to happen any time soon . You see there is a piece of federal legislation (the modified Wright amendment). That legislation states that if Southwest starts flying at any Dallas area airport other  than Love Field, that it must give up a Love Field gate for every non Love Field gate it uses.

Southwest isn't going to give up Love  Field gates.

That doesn't change util 2025.

I think the telling fact about the second Phoenix area airport is that in the 13 years that Allegiant has been flying out of the airport, no other airline has joined Allegiant. Why? If customers were clamoring for service, then surely at least one other airline would have started service.

In Chicago there is a large affluent population North, and West of the city, and for many It is difficult to get to Midway. In Houston, there is a large affluent population North, and West of the city, and for many It is difficult to get to Hobby. That would explain ORD and IAH..

New Airports

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Lol, if you interpret my response to be speaking strictly about mileage then you clearly did not understand it as intended. I love Phoenix, I'll take a burger from The Stand any day, but it is no Chicago or Houston. Could Mesa happen? Sure. So could hundreds of other airports in the country. I wish everyone that wanted Southwest at their airport could get service, but it doesn't work like that. 

--TheMiddleSeat

MiddleSeat, I would say that I did focus on the "milage" more than the rest of the language in the message.  Therefore, I will take a "Back Seat" and state I misinterpreted your intent, and I stand corrected and accept that.  I wish more people could be so obliging when they come on here and post.  Thanks for clearing that up.  As I previously stated, I agree with your statement in regard to Mesa Airport.  

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier 

See message to middle seat as it applies to you as well.  Thanks for the input, you would know well more than me about DFW area since that is your market.  Cheers.