Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

New Hawaii Cities: Saturday only

Anonymous1273
Explorer C

There are a number of secondary markets that would likely support less than daily flights to HNL or OGG.  Granted Allegiant tried, but those were 230 seat aircraft that had one cancellation after another and people learned quickly that reliability was poor and stayed away.  So fast forward to 2021, would a Saturday only schedule from FAT, BOI, GEG, maybe RNO have merit?  I am on DL next week out of FAT to HNL and the schedule is horrible.  I’d certainly welcome a Saturday only flight to either Maui or Oahu.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New Hawaii Cities: Saturday only

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Generally speaking, it's not Southwest's business model to have such infrequent service. They also seem to be pretty happy having a handful of cities that people can connect through to get to Hawaii so there's less pressure to offer non-stop service from every town. Since the catering is also slightly different, limiting the number of Hawaii departure points helps slim costs. Lastly, again speaking generally about Southwest's business model, small town flights tend to funnel into a hub of sorts where you can then get anywhere with the one stop. I certainly can appreciate everyone wanting nonstop service to Hawaii from their home airport, I just don't see that happening on Southwest. 

--TheMiddleSeat

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

Given that Southwest has been adding a lot of Saturday only leisure service recently, this is definitely a possibility, I'm just not sure if they would do it with Hawaii due to the distance and absolute need to fill planes. So, if anything, they'd be both seasonal and Saturday only, except for maybe FAT, but RNO, BOI, and GEG maybe even ABQ would be season IMO. I'm just not sure this will happen unless Southwest provides connections through these smaller airports to/from Hawaii.

With the MAX, other less than daily options could include SAT, AUS, COS possibly DEN, DAL but those could be daily

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

dfwskier
Aviator A

The MAXs can easily fly from Hawaii to the Texas cities. Especially MAX 7s, but they haven't been delivered yet. 

Prevailing winds make the reverse pretty dicey.