Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Non-stop between Orlando (MCO) and Vegas (LAS)

skipbo
Explorer C

For about the last 10 years there have been 2 non stop flights each day between Orlando & Vegas, both outbound and returning (4 flights per day). I have flown the afternoon direct flight from Vegas to Orlando well over 25 times. This flight is ALWAYS full and I would assume profitable for Southwest. There are no longer ANY direct flights either to or from MCO & LAS. Why would Southwest cancel direct flights, especially a flight that I know has always been completely full?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Non-stop between Orlando (MCO) and Vegas (LAS)

dfwskier
Aviator A

The answer is that Southwest has neither all the planes nor all the crews it needs to fly every route that it would like to fly..There are fewer planes in the Southwest fleet than there were t the start of 2019.

First the Max disaster caused Boeing to not ship any new Maxs to anybody for almost two years. Then, during this time SW continued to dispose of planes that were at then end of their useful lives.

Plus, SW   added a bunch of new destinations during that time.

Boeing still has not shipped a single  new Max7 to Southwest even tough hundreds of them are on order - and have been for years.. The Max7 is supposed to replace 737-700s which are Southwests single largest component of it's fleet.

Also, if you have been watching the news, you should be aware that there is is significant shortfall in the number of pilots - affecting every airline including Southwest.

If you don't have the planes, then you can't fly them. If you have the planes but no pilots, again, you can't fly the planes.

End of story.

Re: Non-stop between Orlando (MCO) and Vegas (LAS)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Nonstops between MCO and LAS are currently available on Saturdays.  Schedules and routes change based on numerous factors.  While a route may appear profitable because it's full, that's not always the case when there is lots of competition driving down prices on the route as there would be between two very touristy cities.  Southwest only has so many planes and if it can make more money on another route it's going to do that.

You're welcome to submit your suggestions to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat