Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Non stop flights cancelled after Jan 5, 2020 (OAK/PVR market)

New Arrival

I tried to book flights in January and there are no non-stop flights listed all through March 6, 2020.  When I called reservations, she had no clue and told me there were never any in which I told her I've been flying this market for 2 years now.  I've searched the website and can't find any details if they are stopping the non-stop flights, all I can find is HOU/PVR non-stop.

Does anyone know if they are actually cancelling NS or if the are still loading flights?

TIA!

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Non stop flights cancelled after Jan 5, 2020 (OAK/PVR market)

Top Contributor

I suspect that all changes have been loaded. You could check tomorrow to see whether or not I am wrong.

I suspect you non stops are gone. By next year, SW will be short about 85 planes due to the MAX grounding and a few other things. It has to make hard decisions aobut how to use a fleet that is 85 planes less than it was supposed to have.

When the MAX grounding is lifted, some things that went away are likely to return.

Highlighted

New Arrival

That is what I was suspecting as well, sad because just this year by end of year I'll have flown that market, non-stop 4 times, since the Max 8 issue.  Too bad, I think they're going to loose a lot of business in this market as the planes are always full.  Total bummer as I was working on getting the companion again for 2020...  Oh this sure changes things.  Looks like I'll move onto Alaska Air or United from SFO and pay full price.  

Highlighted

New Arrival

LAX flight to PVR is gone too. That is a shocker. Also, even with the connection through Denver, they are only going twice a week in High Season

Highlighted

New Arrival

I found Saturdays there are OAK/PVR connect through SAN, perhaps LAX would have the same connectiion.

Highlighted

New Arrival

well what i was saying is that there was a flight from LAX. Now that one is gone. It is not just the OAK NS. The changes are major. Fewer days  flights from fewer cities. Although if I had to connect, I'd rather conect through SAN. Coming back into the LAX International terminal majorly sucked. I just did that a few weeks ago. Terrible line and then hard to get to the terminal with connecting flights. SAN is much smaller and approachable, like OAK.

Highlighted

New Arrival

I  heard there was an article somewhere that there are fewer flights to PVR because of the new flight to Hawaii. I have not seen it though.

Maybe it is just speculation or rumor.

Top Contributor

Southwest cut something like 20 non-stops. MAX aircraft remain grounded, and all new planes Southwest had on order were also MAX, meaning they're at a significant loss of aircraft right now. Cutting "under-performing" routes allows them to continue to grow where demand is strong, such as Hawaii. Unfortunately, things will be this way until the MAX are flying again -- and that might not be until sometime into next year.

Highlighted

Rising Star

@rhodesengr wrote:

I  heard there was an article somewhere that there are fewer flights to PVR because of the new flight to Hawaii. I have not seen it though.

Maybe it is just speculation or rumor.

One of many articles here: https://news.yahoo.com/southwest-airlines-cuts-nonstop-routes-155758915.html#

Customer | Home airport DCA
Highlighted

New Arrival

I joined this forum to try to get an answer to this question! Customer service had no clue. I am bummed.