Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

(Original) Frontier Airlines 737s acquired by Southwest

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

WN (FL) 737-2C0 N7379F HOU 7Nov1987.jpg

I wonder if any of the long-time Southwest flyers and employees remember the unique feature of the ex-Frontier 737s acquired by Southwest in 1987.

Hint: It had something to do with the cabin

3 REPLIES 3

Re: (Original) Frontier Airlines 737s acquired by Southwest

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

Well, nobody reponded, so here's the answer.

The ex-Frontier 737s had eight first class seats in the forward cabin. They were deep red velvet from what I recall.

According to some of the flight attendants that I spoke to at the time, most of the passengers would ignore these first class seats and continue back to the aft cabin. As a result, if the first class seats were used at all, it was by the passengers in the later boarding groups (the 61-90, and 91-122 groups) who had no choice but to sit there because the back was filling up.

I managed to sit in a first class seat twice on flights between DAL and AUS and must say that my peanuts and soda seemed much nicer in those seats.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@rtbarron wrote:

Well, nobody reponded, so here's the answer.

The ex-Frontier 737s had eight first class seats in the forward cabin. They were deep red velvet from what I recall.

Awesome! Before my time, but this was a fun post. Please do another one if you have some more interesting history to share.

That's funny that people tended not to take them even though it was open seating. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

Oh, I have lots of stories of Southwest from back in the olden days. I started flying them in 1976 and used them exclusively until 1997 when I went to work for a different (LUV-less) airline.

I'll have to see if I can find any pictures of me and the other kiddies driving Pinka crazy in the "play pen" (the lounge area on the original airplanes where all the kids had to sit.)