Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pdx to Cancun

Katilynn13
Explorer C

Hi all!

Looking at flights from PDX to Cancun through SW next year, the option I want stops at Midway Chicago but it only has a 1.5 hour layover.

I've never flown internationally before but it looks like we'll need to go to the ticket counters for our boarding passes then clear security again before we get on our Cancun flight.

Is 1.5 hours enough time for that at Chicago Midway? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Pdx to Cancun

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

When connecting to an international flight  you won’t need to go though security a 2nd time. returning to the USA  you would need to claim your bags and go though customs if the airport you return from isn’t a pre clearance airport. Some places you do customs before you board heading back to the USA The Bahamas is one example 

you would show your passport to the agent in PDX when checking in and again when boarding the flight at MDW but nothing further would be required until you get to Cancun where you will do customs. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

FYI, no preclearance at CUN. The layover in Chicago sounds fine, enough time to grab a bite and go. Is there a connection in DEN? I would guess that overall travel time would be less going that direction versus Chicago, but you do what you want. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Katilynn13
Explorer C

There is a connection in Denver but the layover was only 1 hr.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Katilynn13 wrote:

Could be a problem if the first flight was delayed, but in normal conditions an hour would be plenty of time.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@Katilynn13 wrote:

Could be a problem if the first flight was delayed, but in normal conditions an hour would be plenty of time.

--TheMiddleSeat

Both have plenty of good places to grab some food before you depart. I'd go for the one that's on an 737-800 or -Max if available.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.