Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pensacola to FLL/MIA/MCO

Explorer C

Any plans on adding a route from the Panhandle to South Florida? Many of us head down to enjoy the south, the drive is a bear and so is flying. I want to fly southwest but when I book it wants me to go to Houston first. 
We desperately need a nonstop flight to Miami or any close. Especially to Orlando for Disney 

thanks

long time SWA lover Marlana

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Pensacola to FLL/MIA/MCO

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You can certainly submit your suggestion directly to Southwest.  Use the contact us link below and send a message.

Looking at the current destinations from PNS it appears Southwest is more interested in getting people into the Southwest network, going to larger "hubs" where they can make connections to anywhere in the country rather than focusing on intra-Florida travel.  This is the typical scenario for smaller airports Southwest flies to.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@68084424 wrote:

Any plans on adding a route from the Panhandle to South Florida? Many of us head down to enjoy the south, the drive is a bear and so is flying. I want to fly southwest but when I book it wants me to go to Houston first. 
We desperately need a nonstop flight to Miami or any close. Especially to Orlando for Disney 

thanks

long time SWA lover Marlana

We did that drive from TPA/SRQ area since it wasn't going to make sense to fly to HOU or BNA and then back to PNS. I might reconsider after driving it one time 🙂

PNS does really seem like a leisure destination from the north more than a business stop, but you can always us the Contact Southwest Customer Service and let them know you are interested.

It isn't inconcievable - right now the "hubs" that connect are HOU, DAL, STL, BWI, and my most common one BNA. Maybe ATL sometimes. So these could be supplemented with a flight from TPA or MCO and remove one of the others.

Coming from Chicago the HOU or DAL routes are just as far out of the way as MCO would be. BNA is right in line though so I don't see a mandate to add a Florida location.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

I have the exact same issue from Orlando to Miami! There are zero nonstops and all the connections leave Florida only to go back! I get that a lot of FL particularly MIA is AA territory but still - at least ONE nonstop/day would be nice.

— Jessica 

bec102896
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

I have the exact same issue from Orlando to Miami! There are zero nonstops and all the connections leave Florida only to go back! I get that a lot of FL particularly MIA is AA territory but still - at least ONE nonstop/day would be nice.

— Jessica 

I’m surprised they haven’t done a MCO/MIA non stop would compete against American, which they do in a lot of other markets like Dallas to Austin (just DFW vs DAL) and they actually just increased the daily flights on DFW/AUS to compete against SW. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I think there is an MCO/FLL flight? Maybe it’s TPA.

Southwest doesn’t have enough MIA capacity to make an MCO run, they will save those for flights from the north unless it was a repositioning flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Miami to Orlando?

The Brightline Train Boondoggle From Miami to Orlando begins operation in September, should be plenty of seats multiple times a day, until the government funding runs out in a couple of years.

Safe Travels

jksobonya
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Miami to Orlando?

The Brightline Train Boondoggle From Miami to Orlando begins operation in September, should be plenty of seats multiple times a day, until the government funding runs out in a couple of years.

Safe Travels

Yes I've heard about this train, and this is likely what I'm going to end up taking. Beats flying OR driving!

--Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

First, here in Florida there are no boondoggles.  We pay no state tax here (aaaaahhhhhh) since those passing though leave billions of dollars behind to pay for those of us who live here.  Many thanks to all of you who pass through and pay my bills.

Second, Orlando to Miami by car is four hours on smooth roads.  If you look at the flying time, you can already be in Miami with your own vehicle:

45 - minutes drive to the airport

15 - minutes parking/ride to terminal

120 - minutes arrival before flight

45 - minutes flight

30 - minutes landing/terminal to baggage

20 - minutes arranging transportation

45 - minutes from airport to your destination

Total time = 320 minutes or over five hours.  So, in most cases you have vast increase in travel cost for virtually no savings in time whatsoever.

MCO to MIA is a waste of time.  Take your car or the train

Keep Florida tax free for those of us who are blessed to live here.

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

I am honestly surprised at Southwest's lack of intra-Florida flights compared to their intra-California flights. Obviously, Southwest is much more focused on leisure than business, but there's still intra-Florida leisure travel. A panhandle to South Florida or even Orlando would be comparable to a Bay Area to SoCal flight, so I'm not sure why they haven't done it yet. They do have MCO to FLL though, so there's that at least.

Andrew E

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest