Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pittsburgh to Oaho - best routes?

cpgohn123
Explorer C

Hello. My wife and I will be traveling from Pittsburgh, PA to Oahu January 9-22 using Southwest points. It doesn't look like SW travels to Hawaii from Pittsburgh so I am trying to determine what city to travel first and then continue on to Hawaii. We have a flexible schedule so we can stay overnight in a convenient city. Thanks in advance for your help. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Pittsburgh to Oaho - best routes?

cpgohn123
Explorer C

Sorry just realized I misspelled Oahu, but didn't see how I can edit a post. 😎

Re: Pittsburgh to Oaho - best routes?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

You are likely running in to one of Southwest's rules: no flight can be booked if it requires more than one plane change. A stop continuing on the same plane does not count. The reason: plane changes increase the risk that a passenger will miss a connecting flight.

Some non flights to Oahu come from Las Vegas, Oakland, Phoenix, San Jose and San Diego. Others require a plane change.

So you would need to get to one of those cities.

To get around the issue , you could try to book the flight as a multi city trip -- like this:

https://www.southwest.com/air/booking/select.html?adultPassengersCount=1&departureDate=2022-09-21&de... 

Just be sure to leave enough time between flights that you do not miss a connection.

Also, you might look to see whether or not a flight to one of the other islands is easier.

Re: Pittsburgh to Oahu - best routes?

cpgohn123
Explorer C

Thanks your answer was very helpful. It looks like the multi-city may be a possible option. One thing that wasn't clear was that when I entered the mule-city search, it asked for a return date. I assume that it isn't the date that I return to Pittsburgh, but the date that I actually continue on to Oahu, correct?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You are correct. In your case the first flight and the second flight would both have the same date.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Another alternative would be to fly to Vegas, see some shows, play a few slots, and get to Oahu the next day.

tak10
Explorer C

I was running into from Columbus (CMH). That's a great idea to have a stop over day in Vegas.