Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Process of Flying from LAX>Houston>Mexico City

robertv610
Explorer C

Hello all,

I am flying for the first time to Mexico City next Saturday and I had a couple of questions. First off can someone explain the process of changing planes in Houston to go to Mexico City? The 1st leg of my trip has a plane change in Houston and its only a 50 minute layover. I plan on buying early bird check in in order to get off the plane as soon as possible upon landing from LA, however being that its an international flight do I have to go to the international gate and then go through security again in Houston? Will I also have to go to a kiosk and show my passport in Houston? It seems like a really narrow window and im not sure why Southwest would schedule it so close together. To make matters worst I will be traveling with a companion and given the narrow window I doubt we would be able to sit together for the flight to Mexico City. My return flight has a longer layover so that wont be an issue. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Process of Flying from LAX>Houston>Mexico City

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I'll preface this with the disclaimer that I've never been to HOU, but some after a few little research the concensus I found in other discussions was that you'll have plenty of time (assuming you arrive on-time). All Southwest gates are in the same concourse and most are grouped together so distance and time walking from one gate to the next is not a problem. You might even make it before the boarding process starts.

Gate information can be found here:

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/airport-information.html

Map of HOU:

http://www.fly2houston.com/hou/maps/

Enjoy Mexico! 

robertv610
Explorer C

Thank you very much. I assume I will go through security just once at LAX based on the gate information link you provided. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello 

I fly though Houston a lot and when you get to Houston you will not have to go through security again to get to the international gates. The international gates are gates are 1-5 and they are a little walk from the rest of the gates most other flights come in to the 20s or 40s gates if you arrive in the upper 40s or gate 50-51 it will be a hike you should be able to make your connection though no problem as long as the first flight is ontime. Southwest usually tries to put close connections near each other so hopefully they will land your first flight in the international gates or low 20s or low 40s so your walk isn't as far of course we have no control of where they put your inbound flight but you should have no issues with a 50min connection as some connections are 35min and your connection is a little longer just be ready to walk and sit at the front of the plane on your first flight.

feel free to let me know how it goes!

hope this helps

Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Interesting that Southwest doesn't mention using gates 1-5 on their site, but based on today's Mexico City departure from gate 4 @bec102896 is correct, you will need to hike a bit to change concourses, but do not have to go through security again. Still sounds like you'll have plenty of time.  

robertv610
Explorer C

Thank you both for the information. I'm assuming that I will have my passsport checked at LAX then correct? Any experience flying out of LAX on Southwest for International Flights? 

bec102896
Aviator A

@robertv610 I do believe they will still have you show your passport when boarding in Houston but I am not for sure on that I have seen international flights depart from Houston and Atlanta and see everyone showing there passports as they are boarding even if they came from somewhere else before Atlanta or Houston 

hope this helps

Blake 

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@TheMiddleSeat and @bec102896 y'all are sharing great information on this thread and I. Am. Here. For. It! Thank you!

Re: Process of Flying from BNA>Houston>Mexico City

StephanieB
Explorer C

Thanks for your help! Since I am flying  from BNA>Houston>Mexico City - 

• I assume luggage will go directly to MEX?
  • Will I go thru customs in MEX?
  • Will it be clear how to get to Customs once in MEX?

So appreciate your advice. 

Re: Process of Flying from BNA>Houston>Mexico City

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest will end all service to/from MEX on March 30, 2019.

If you have a flight already booked for a date after March 30, contact Customer Relations asap to inquire about reacommodation.