Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Resume San Diego to Maui?

MamaToThree
Explorer C

I could have sworn SW used to fly directly from San Diego to Maui. I thought I had that flight?! It was cancelled and now seems to have disappeared. When will the direct flight from San Diego to OGG resume?

I am trying to get there in September and having a heck of a time figuring out how to get from RDU to OGG. 

Option 1 Attempt - RDU to SAN, spend an afternoon and evening hanging with family, fly to OGG in the morning - but what happened to direct SAN - OGG?! I REALLY don't want to have to change flights. Like, really. It's tough with all of us, and I am a nervous flier.

Option 2 Attempt - RDU to OAK or SJC, then direct to OGG....but the flight arrives on the west coast 10-20 minutes after the flights leave for OGG. Really don't want to spend 5-6 hours in the airport instead of arriving in Maui early afternoon. There used to be earlier flights from RDU to OAK or SJC, but those have disappeared as well.  Will that come back? That could help, too.

Between my husband and I, we have something like 250,000 miles and two companion passes and can't figure out how to somewhat conveniently get to Hawaii. 

Help?! Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Resume San Diego to Maui?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Last October Southwest announced that service would begin in April, 2020.

Then the virus hit, and flights to Hawaii were pared back a lot in March. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the service out of SanDiego never even started.

There is a nonstop SAN/HNL flight. It leaves late enough in the day that you can easily fly RDU/SAN and have plenty of time to make the connection.

Plus the NS flight to HNL gets in early enough that you can catch an inter island flight on SW that get's you into OGG.

That may be the best you can do.

MamaToThree
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply!

Ah...I didn't know the SAN - OGG never even started. We were originally scheduled to go in May....then August...now I'm shooting for September. If that isn't 6-8 weeks after the quarantine is lifted, then we will probably just wait until the following May 😞  

So far, it looks like I may need to choose between a meal with family in San Diego, then HNL - OGG later that day (soooo many flights in one day?!) or overnight in OAK or SJC then direct to OGG. Bleh....

Please, oh please, Southwest schedule making people - add back SAN to OGG or put back the earlier-in-the-day flight from RDU to OAK or SJC. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You're probably already aware, but just in case: Keep in mind that travel to Hawaii is still problematic, with a stay-at-home order and mandatory 14-day quarantine for visitors in place through June 30, 2020. Things may change by September, hopefully, but that's still unknown. It's unfortunate, but for now I'd recommend flexibility, and anticipation of further possible flight changes.

Special Alerts and Notices for The Hawaiian Islands

MamaToThree
Explorer C

Thanks...yeah...I've been listening to Hawaii news and travel podcasts and even reading Hawaii city-data.com pages. I would like to wait until 8 weeks after quarantine is lifted to let it all get sorted out a bit before arriving.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Your problem is lack  on nonstop service from RDU to California, thus making connections difficult.

How about getting to Charlotte first?.

There are ways to go CLT/OAK/OGG on the same day.

.or try another airline...

There's no point in tieing yourself into a pretzel trying to do something you can't do.

MamaToThree
Explorer C

Hmmm....I'll have to look into the Charlotte idea. We live just 10 minutes away from RDU so we just consider that.

As for another airline, I already gave up on SW for the trip back as they don't fly late enough at night. With 250,000 miles and two companion passes, I was hoping to at least GET to Hawaii "for free." 

Again, thanks for the CLT tip!

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

If you're willing to spend the extra layover days, its doable! Up to you! 🙂

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger