Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Returning from Punta Cana, connecting in Atlanta

ashmama
Explorer C

We'll be traveling to Punta Cana in a few weeks. The return flight from PUJ connects in ATL, and the layover time there is just 1.5 hours. Is this enough time to claim luggage, recheck it, and get boarded on the flight to our hometown? We have a rather large group that includes children. I had no idea we'd have to claim luggage until I just looked through the FAQ on Southwest's site. Will we remain in the same concourse in ATL, or will we be going from the international terminal to domestic? Thanks so much for any answers. Having a last minute panic here!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Returning from Punta Cana, connecting in Atlanta

1SmoothRider
Explorer C

There should not be a problem as you will have to claim luggae & simply take it to the domestic counter. If there is any type of delay Southwest is usually pretty good about rescheduling your flight. I will be doing the same thing in September. 

ashmama
Explorer C

Thank you! I spoke with a Southwest rep who assured me it would be enough time. Worst case, there's a later flight to our hometown with seats left, if we miss the connection.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@ashmama wrote:

Thank you! I spoke with a Southwest rep who assured me it would be enough time. Worst case, there's a later flight to our hometown with seats left, if we miss the connection.

Also if you have TSA PreCheck or other priority you will be in good shape getting back through security. I'm not sure where international flights for Southwest go in ATL - I don't believe Southwest has any infrastructure at the International Terminal there, so it must be deplaning at C gates and there may be a way to claim, re-check, and get back to the terminal all right there.

Otherwise if you are facing a tough connection you can always ask people ahead of you in security if you can move forward due to your flight's timing. Sometimes that works.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.