Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SOUTHWEST - AN AWFUL AIRLINE

VeryUnsatisfied
Explorer B

I arrived into Chicago last night from Denver, and waited at baggage claim for 30 minutes before having to go ask where my bag was. The attendant looked it up and just shrugged, “oh, it’s still in Denver”. I then had to wait ANOTHER 45 MINUTES to file a claim for luggage which was not on my flight. Southwest provided no apology and it took another email to their customer support desk before they even offer a $100 voucher. THIS AIRLINE LOSES LUGGAGE AND CHEATS THEIR PASSENGERS - AVOID AT ALL COSTS

31 REPLIES 31

Re: SOUTHWEST - AN AWFUL AIRLINE

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As if no other airline ever loses a bag. 

You can submit your feedback directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

VeryUnsatisfied
Explorer B

Read the post. Terrible customer service and this airline seems to operate like this as a normal course of action.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I did read the post and have also dealt with other airlines. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Southweststinks
Explorer B

Sooo you must work for sw judging by your tone and callousness to the situation is my guess. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

How were you cheated? I saw no evidence of any "cheating" in your post.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Let's try to understand the individual's frustration.  If Southwest, or any airline, is going to take possession of the bag then they need to deliver it to the destination with the passenger.  With today's technology, the airline knows the bag is not on the plane.

An alert could be sent to the passenger to let them know the ETA of their bag.  The barcoding system gives the actual location.  Had this passenger KNOWN that the bag was not on the plane, the frustration would have been much less.

While these events are rare, let's not forget that people have expectations that when their bags are handed to the airlines, that the airlines convey them to their destination on time.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy Southwest does not offer baggage tracking to customers like other airlines so claiming they "could" do things is like saying they could also serve gourmet meals inflight.  Basically, it's not relevant. 

The OP had to wait to file a claim, ok, was that because there was a line and they had to wait?  If so, what about that situation makes Southwest "awful" and what about the situation is cheating customers?  Did Southwest lose the bag on purpose?  No.  Will they do everything they can to get the bag to the customer as soon as possible?  Yes.  Is it unreasonable to wait in line to file a claim?  No. 

The OP also sent an email (super tough and time consuming to do) and was given a voucher less than 24 hours after the incident occurred.  I would call that a pretty good customer service response to an unfortunate situation.  The voucher is in addition to any incidental costs Southwest is willing to provide as part of their standard lost bag process.  The OP conveniently omitted that part.

No airline is perfect in handling bags and based on how this incident was handled I would continue to fly Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

What I said was that the technology was there to keep the passenger informed.  Whether they offer it or not is not my point.

Southwest doesn't sell land in Milwaukee either, so I am not sure that I understand your reference to gourmet meals.  

There is no reason for a passenger to have a mystery with regard to their backs.  The technology for barcoding has been around since the 50s and all Southwest needs to do is pass along to the customer the location of their bags.  It is called PROGRESS.

The United States Postal Service gives me the ability to track an item shipped across the country realtime.  Southwest already scans the bags and keeps up with them using that technology.

I can check the whereabouts of my bags with other airlines using this same technology.

Please do keep the conversation constructive.  Thank you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy Suggesting the airline just magically go back in time and implement new technology to help the OP with their problem hardly helps the OP and does not make this a constructive conversation.  Calling out the customer's unrealistic expectations and complaints in an attempt to reset their point of view is constructive

Contacting the airline with suggestions, including the use of technology is productive AND is what I originally suggested in my original comment.  Maybe you should try it instead of just posting about what could be?

--TheMiddleSeat