Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA Searching with Flexible Destination

dayaghana84
Explorer C
I'm pretty tech saavy and love Google Flights because it allows me to search with open-ended dates or destinations. My husband and I now have the SWA companion pass and we are flexible with where to go... but to my understanding there is no way to simply search SWA by cheapest destination... Is there something I am missing here? Thanks for your help!
8 REPLIES 8

Re: SWA Searching with Flexible Destination

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No, you're not missing anything.  Southwest used to offer a low fare map that offered some of what you are looking for, but even it had its flaws, thus why it was removed.  We're stuck manually searching for now.  The low fare calendar can help a bit and as you become familiar with destinations from your departure point you'll learn what tends to be cheaper.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Whenever the weekly sale announcement comes out, there is a way to see all "sale" fares from one city to all other cities. Since there won't be another sale until Tuesday, I can't tell you how to do that.

There are two problems with the above:

1) Only "sale" fares to cities are listed. If a city does not have a "sale" fare, it is not on the list.

2) Frequently (especially now) some regular fares might be lower than the listed "sale" fares - thus limiting the usefulness of the sale announcement data. 

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Congrats on Companion Pass!

I kinda wish, similar to other flight search engines, you could see similar cities (i.e. Newark (when it was around) and LGA) in one view. I've requested it via the Contact Us button and social media, and hope you do too.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

As I said in my earlier post, you can check flexible destinations whenever as sale is on (subject to the limitations in my earlier post)

There's  sale on now. Will be until Thursday. Click on the link and then one the ensuing page

click on "view all destinations."

https://www.southwest.com/air/low-fare-calendar/index.html?departureDate=2020-12-01&returnDate=2020-...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier The problem with relying on "sales", as you mentioned earlier, is the sales are often not the lowest prices.  If you rely purely on sale notifications you will miss out on lots of better prices that can only be found by searching for flights.  The low fare calendar is good for displaying the lowest fares between two cities.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I just like the old process better where you could drop a pin and start looking.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@dfwskier The problem with relying on "sales", as you mentioned earlier, is the sales are often not the lowest prices.  If you rely purely on sale notifications you will miss out on lots of better prices that can only be found by searching for flights.  The low fare calendar is good for displaying the lowest fares between two cities.

--TheMiddleSeat

Agree, but the sale fare page is the only way, that I know of, to get an idea of fares from  one city to a lot of other cities.It gives one a place to start the search. I've found that fares lower than sale   fares typically happen between focus cities. In my case that means between Dallas and Chicago , and Dallas and Denver.

classtax
Explorer C

This might be the page you are looking for:

https://www.southwest.com/find-best-flight-deals/

Steve