Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA flights to Jamaica

27ftWhaler
Explorer C

Has anyone figured out what is happening with flights to Montego Bay? SWA opened their booking calendar on Thursday for  summer flights. There are NO Wanna Get Away fares from any airport serving Montego Bay. There are only Business Select Fares. That has to be an error. I just don't see much business travel going to Jamaica ant month and especially during the summer. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: SWA flights to Jamaica

floridaguy
Aviator C

Supply vs demand.  There is no reason to offer a discount fare if you have the ability to sell all of your seats.

Check with JetBlue who also flies to Montego Bay.

27ftWhaler
Explorer C

I think if demand was that great, they would add flights. Something else is going on because there are no Getaway flights any day from any airport. Peak demand to MBJ is Jan-March, not July and August. Try booking a flight from BWI, MCO, FLL to MBJ any month and then look at flights in July and August, you'll see what I mean. It's very strange.

floridaguy
Aviator C

You can always use the Trans-Caribbean Highway which was just completed, connecting Miami FL to Montego Bay JA.

It is a nice drive.😂 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Am airline can't just add flights whenever it wants, especially to international destinations. Southwest believes it can sell seats at higher prices and does not need to discount them. There's nothing else "going on". You can wait to see if WGA fares get added later or buy the BS fare now and cancel if you find a better deal. Fares are often higher when the schedule gets extended as Southwest knows people rush to buy flights. IMO you're better off waiting, there's rarely a need to buy as soon as seats become available. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@27ftWhaler wrote:

Has anyone figured out what is happening with flights to Montego Bay? SWA opened their booking calendar on Thursday for  summer flights. There are NO Wanna Get Away fares from any airport serving Montego Bay. There are only Business Select Fares. That has to be an error. I just don't see much business travel going to Jamaica ant month and especially during the summer. 

I ) it is impossible for SW to only sell Business select fares as it can only sell a max of 15 of them per flight - boarding spots a1 - a15.

2) I just checked and there are lots of BS, Anytime , WGA+ and, yes, even WGA fares available for sale.