Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

San Jose Costa Rica

billybob59
Explorer C

Hi,

I've been a loyal Southwest Rapid Rewards member for over 25 years (A+ list Preferred w/companion pass). I have never been so confused in my life relating to my upcoming San Jose Costa Rica trip. First, my reservation was cancelled for 8/13/20 without notice. Then I received from Customer Service an email stating that I can rebook my ticket for the same price on our before 8/27/20. When I attempted to rebook, the website stated, "all flights unavailable". Now the Southwest Coronavirus site states flights will resume on 11/1/20. However, when I called the Southwest reservationist, they state no flights are reflecting in their system prior to 1/4/21. 

Even though I'm a loyal client of Southwest, I Googled any flight to San Jose Costa Rica for the month of August. Not only do the major carriers reflect flights, even Spirit Airline is have flights available. So EVERY airline is servicing San Jose Costa Rica after 8/1/20. What happened to Southwest where my credit resides? Please advise...

Sincerely,

A confused humble loyal potential passenger!

7 REPLIES 7

Re: San Jose Costa Rica

billybob59
Explorer C

As a Side note, I just found this post regarding flights to Costa Rica...

@ctipton Based on the latest here, it looks like SW is resuming normal ops to Costa Rica at the end of June (at least as of now).

• Last flight from the United States to San Jose, Costa Rica & Liberia, Costa Rica will operate on Wednesday, March 18.
  • Last flight from San Jose, Costa Rica & Liberia, Costa Rica to the United States will operate on Sunday, March 22.
  • Our current plan is to resume normal operations on Sunday, June 28.
  • Click here to rebook.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

I'm so sorry for all the frustration @billybob59! As a peer-to-peer forum, we aren't equipped to look into your reservation to advise, but please Contact Customer Relations for assistance. Thank you!

Nicole
Community Manager

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Keep on mind that you are entitled to a full refund, not just a credit, since Southwest cancelled your flight. This could be helpful should you need to book on another carrier.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Billybob, I'm not quite the longtime committed Rapid Reward customer as you are, I was too ignorant and was flying for years before joining and getting points.  With that said, I feel your frustration as I have had trips to Cozumel, San Diego, L.A., Denver, and so on cancelled to be either credited or refunded.  And as of yesterday changes in my flights to L.A. again for the month of September.  But here is the deal, it's all based on the virus, not S.W.  Yes, somebody at S.W. has to make the decision, but I'm truly believing they are doing in based on what is going on with the virus, and after the huge spike in cases these past two weeks, that will change everything.  As noted, you do have the option of a full refund and can go on another carrier.  I often do that anyway as S.W. doesn't fly to everywhere I go.  I'm sure that S.W. is going to make some changes in the next few days in regard to the new spikes and direction the virus is going, in fact, many of us S.W. flyers insist they address it. 

billybob59
Explorer C

Thank you Nicole for your response! However, I have written two email messages to the corporate customer service department.  In both cases, I received the same  canned response message. Both responses were pretty much the same, "we're sorry for the inconvenience,  but what is, is".

As you can imagine the responses from corporate was extremely disappointing. It was great that Southwest airline which I have been utilizing over the past 25 years is providing the same fare. But how can you conform to the terms and conditions (within 14 day booking) if Southwest is not providing any type of service to the region within the allotted stated timeframes. 

Very, very frustrating and disappointing...

But again, thank you for your response!

Bill

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@billybob59 wrote:

Thank you Nicole for your response! However, I have written two email messages to the corporate customer service department.  In both cases, I received the same  canned response message. Both responses were pretty much the same, "we're sorry for the inconvenience,  but what is, is".

As you can imagine the responses from corporate was extremely disappointing. It was great that Southwest airline which I have been utilizing over the past 25 years is providing the same fare. But how can you conform to the terms and conditions (within 14 day booking) if Southwest is not providing any type of service to the region within the allotted stated timeframes. 

Very, very frustrating and disappointing...

But again, thank you for your response!

Bill

Just to be clear: From what you've said, it sounds like you are entitled to a full refund. My recommendation would be to reach out to Customer Relations once again and demand the refund. I suggest you contact them via Twitter or Facebook direct message. If you are denied that by Southwest, file a consumer complaint with the DOT.

guinness39
Explorer C

I think its a very confusing time for everyone.  I'd say that they want customers to be able to plan but costa rica had been changing their regulations alot and I know they are not allowing outsiders to come into costa rica unless your a citizen till atleast august 1.