Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Search for Promotional Flight base on fare maximum

mbell777
Explorer C

As I'm sure you do, I seem to constantly receive emails from SW about $50 flights (or any other promotional amount for that matter) along with a button to "Book Now."  The problem is that I can't ever see to find one of these fares on the site because of the limits of the search capabilities.

I'd love to take advantage of a fun get-way to just about anywhere for one of these cheap rates, but need to be able to find them.  Does anyone know of a way to filter flights from a particular city to "anywhere" else base solely on a fare maximum?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Search for Promotional Flight base on fare maximum

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

What you are looking for is not available.  The best suggestion I can think of is to use the low fare calendar.  That way you can look at a particular route and see the lowest fare each day for a month.  Cheapest fares are going to typically be non-stop routes that are shorter in length.  If your home airport is a smaller one with few daily flights you may not see the cheapest of fares.

Some of the search functionality you want is available through Google Flights, BUT Southwest flights do not show prices there.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

I agree, I wish there was a way to sort fares by price by airport! It should be pretty easy to add a $ filter to this page - or at least a "sort by low fare/high fare" option:

https://www.southwest.com/html/offers/nationwide_sale_NonstopConnect_210504.html?redirect=false

But it could be expanded even further by removing the "departure city" filter so you can see all cities and thus all fares. Like a master list. The only way to find the low fares currently is if you go through each departure city. I found a couple of $50 fares out of Las Vegas, for example. 

--Jessica 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

I agree, I wish there was a way to sort fares by price by airport! It should be pretty easy to add a $ filter to this page - or at least a "sort by low fare/high fare" option:

https://www.southwest.com/html/offers/nationwide_sale_NonstopConnect_210504.html?redirect=false

Actually if you go to that page and change the departure city, you can see fares from that city to various other cities. Only a small number of cities will have a $50 fare.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

So, that page is quite interesting because it's not accurate.  Maybe I'm just seeing an anomaly, but I pull it up and see a list of cities with "one way starting at".  I decide to randomly check out flights to Houston:

sw1.PNG

So I click the "select dates" button which takes me to the low fare calendar.  Problem is the flights actually start at a lower price than what the previous screen said:

sw2.PNG

Yes, that page would be useful, but only if it provided accurate information.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

You are correct, but the op was looking to find the $50 fares. The method works for that. It is unlikely that the airline is offering fares lower than $50 on these routes.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

So, that page is quite interesting because it's not accurate.  Maybe I'm just seeing an anomaly, but I pull it up and see a list of cities with "one way starting at".  I decide to randomly check out flights to Houston:

sw1.PNG

So I click the "select dates" button which takes me to the low fare calendar.  Problem is the flights actually start at a lower price than what the previous screen said:

sw2.PNG

Yes, that page would be useful, but only if it provided accurate information.

--TheMiddleSeat

Ha! That's amusing. I looked up the Las Vegas to Long Beach CA flights which were for $50, and the low fare calendar said they were actually $49. Not too far off, but I checked several other cities and the price listed as the low fare was correct. 

FWIW, this page is accessed by clicking the $50 sale graphic on soutwest.com, and then clicking the "Not sure where you're flying yet? Get inspired by our full list of offers" graphic. Whenever they have sales like this, this page is there to view "all" the offers by airport ... it's just not sorted by price, which is what people want when there's a $50 sale or a $99 sale or whatever it is. 

--Jessica

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@TheMiddleSeat are you looking DEN-IAH? I just recreated that search and saw "as low as $116" and the lowest fare on the calendar is $116. So...the prices are consistent between pages but very much NOT consistent with what you saw, ha!

Let me know what the origination is for your search so I can take a look and pass this along if it is indeed broken.