Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Searching for travel during time, not destination

zebedancer
Explorer C

I think it was the getaway tool that was retired last year that I'm thinking of, but can someone who has been around a while clarify for me:

I thought I had read a post a long time ago about being able to search for low fares by date, rather than destination.  I would REALLY like this tool, because sometimes we have a long weekend available that we could fly with points, but no real destination in mind.  I'd love to just be able to find the cheapest flight from our home airport to *somewhere* so we could explore.  Is anything like this available?  (Was it previously on the getaway tool?)   Has anyone found a way to do this with the current system?   I don't find google searching to be any more convenient for this sort of search (for any airline much less SW).  If there's a way to do it there, then please inform. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Searching for travel during time, not destination

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@zebedancer wrote:

I think it was the getaway tool that was retired last year that I'm thinking of, but can someone who has been around a while clarify for me:

I thought I had read a post a long time ago about being able to search for low fares by date, rather than destination.  I would REALLY like this tool, because sometimes we have a long weekend available that we could fly with points, but no real destination in mind.  I'd love to just be able to find the cheapest flight from our home airport to *somewhere* so we could explore.  Is anything like this available?  (Was it previously on the getaway tool?)   Has anyone found a way to do this with the current system?   I don't find google searching to be any more convenient for this sort of search (for any airline much less SW).  If there's a way to do it there, then please inform. 

That would be fun. Some of that functionality existed before but with the current route map there isn't the ability to filter by price. 

With my home base at MDW I know that there are always some likely candidates nearby, but also don't have any way to find a deal for longer trips.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.