Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Service to Knoxville

Passenger1C
Aviator C

@Bondseye007 when I travel from LAX to see my family in Knoxville, we always fly into Nashville. The drive isn’t that bad and takes no more than 3 hours. 

I agree that SWA would be a perfect fit at TYS because everyone is super friendly, warm, and display “Southern” Hospitality. Unfortunately, the passenger traffic is low. 

East Tennessee Is beautiful and I hope tourism continues to grow. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

Porchdog
Explorer C

I'm not sure how one could make the determination, but I think if figures were available on the number of passengers who are bypassing TYS and driving to nearby airports (Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta) in search of more reasonable fares they would be a real eye-opener.  Bringing Southwest to Knoxville would recapture a great number of these defecting passengers back into the Knoxville market.  As it stands now, Knoxville is often just prohibitively expensive to fly in or out of.  I certainly don't like driving 6 hours round-trip to Nashville to catch a flight, but I have done it more than once, and so have other members of my family.  Please, Southwest - give us another look!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Porchdog wrote:

I'm not sure how one could make the determination, but I think if figures were available on the number of passengers who are bypassing TYS and driving to nearby airports (Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta) in search of more reasonable fares they would be a real eye-opener.  Bringing Southwest to Knoxville would recapture a great number of these defecting passengers back into the Knoxville market.  As it stands now, Knoxville is often just prohibitively expensive to fly in or out of.  I certainly don't like driving 6 hours round-trip to Nashville to catch a flight, but I have done it more than once, and so have other members of my family.  Please, Southwest - give us another look!

Nashville is okay with them, you would probably be driving there to fly Southwest.

ATL sounds horrible as you'd be going through the whole metro to get to the airport on the far side. Memphis I'm not sure - Southwest didn't fly there when I visited and I ended up taking the train.

Chatanooga also, never have visited.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bhouston
Explorer C

We would love to have SW in Knoxville. There are so many neighboring towns and the smokies are right here, there are so many people that travel out of Nashville because flights are so difficult to get out of Knoxville. Epecially if you want a flight that won't get cancelled by American. We travel about 6 times a year and I hate that SW isn't here and we have to fly other airlines. My mom works for Alaska and they are a great airline too but don't fly much in the south at all. I hope the airport grows to be able to a size that SW can come in and have a few flights. I bet it would hurt the other airlines out of TYS and make them step up the game a bit. 

Mrteight
Explorer C

I have been flying SW for over 20 years,,,,and have brought more than a few new customers into the SW Family. Moved to Knoxville and was shocked and disappointed to find no service. To say the area is growing is an understatement.

NY/CA/ ILL/ to name a few states are showing up in droves. Tell me SW what can we do as customers to push our local airport to accommodate your service. I would be heart broken to lose my ability to fly with you….In fact I am going to Hawaii soon and had to book my flight on a different airline and it was painful.

Help us to help you make this a no brainer decision!

Mr Teight