Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest announces start of daily service to Steamboat Springs, Colorado

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Wow!  A surprise addition to the Southwest route map!

https://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/southwest-airlines-announces-start-of-daily-service-into-yampa-v...

steamboat.jpg

--TheMiddleSeat

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Southwest announces start of daily service to Steamboat Springs, Colorado

SWDigits
Aviator A

...and the official Southwest press release is here: https://www.swamedia.com/releases/release-f567b8716930c9084bbc00f22c289ee0-southwest-airlines-announ...

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, that sure came out of left field.

My question is: will EGE be the next ski town destination added to the route map ?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

My question is: will EGE be the next ski town destination added to the route map ?

I think hitting all the ski towns is a model Frontier tried some time ago, but all the flights originated in DEN. If Southwest brings in nonstop flights from places outside of Colorado I think there's probably a good possibility of adding EGE and others for seasonal service. Driving up to ski from DEN is a major headache so eliminating the need to fly into DEN and then having to arrange a ride up the mountains is a brilliant move by Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

Lwickha
Explorer C

I’m luvin’ the decision. Give AA and United a run for their $. Wish it was in summer, too.  Can’t wait!❤️

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

This is AWESOME! I cannot wait for this to actually take off.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

gsking
Aviator C

Is it just out of Denver?  Seems like a short flight.

Any way to see which direct flights are available?  The route map on the website seems kinda useless.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Bring back direct flights from Albuquerque to;  El Paso, Wichita, and Tucson, please.  For the first 2, it doesn't make sense to spend more time flying than it would to actually drive to those cities.  I know I will take advantage of this flight to Steamboat, as there are many trial races in that area and now won't have to drive from Denver.  

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

I know I will take advantage of this flight to Steamboat, as there are many trial races in that area and now won't have to drive from Denver.  

@SWFlyer007 tell us more about these "trial races" - what is this about?

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Colorado is known for the miles and miles of trails in the mountains.  Many small towns put on running trails races of different distances, 5k to 50 miles or more.  You get to see some of the best views and scenery in the state.  I've done these types of races all over the country.  In fact, it's one of the primary reasons I fly SWA, to get to these destinations.  IF there is something specific you would need me to clarify, let me know.