Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest should start flying to these cities

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actually, several airlines stopped Mexico City service.

I believe the motivating factor was that most people flying the route were coming from the US. As I understand it, there were few passengers that originated in Mexico.

Thus it was difficult to get enough passenger to have the route make sense.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier I'm sure that had something to do with it, if it made money, it wouldn't have stopped.  You might know, just when the NFL started to do Monday Night Football games in Mexico City, the team I support was playing that game.  SWA stopped flying there several months earlier.  It's been my life, so I'm used to it.   I'm sure that just suggesting a city won't make it change if it doesn't fit a business model to make money.   I'd love to see them go to Missoula, MT, Cheyenne, WY, Bismark, ND, Anchorage, AK, Toronto, Vancouver Canada, and so on.  Hummm, why no flight at all to Canada?  Does anyone have that answer? 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Hummm, why no flight at all to Canada?  Does anyone have that answer? 

I did see this recently - apparently Canada requires airlines to take payment in CAD and the ticketing system can't do that.

It seems to be a technology issue rather than any lack of desire or economic evaluation.

(Meanwhile fly Porter if you get the chance or have the need)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C
@dfwskier wrote:

I believe the motivating factor was that most people flying the route were coming from the US. As I understand it, there were few passengers that originated in Mexico.

I think it was actually the other way around. The routes between Mexico City and the US have more demand to the US than to Mexico City, so US based carriers have struggled as the locals opt for Mexican carriers. As for Southwest, their booking system can't take international currency which is why they only fly to destinations in Mexico that have heavy demand from the US for leisure travel.

Andrew E

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@5280Av8r wrote:
@dfwskier wrote:

I think it was actually the other way around. The routes between Mexico City and the US have more demand to the US than to Mexico City, so US based carriers have struggled as the locals opt for Mexican carriers. As for Southwest, their booking system can't take international currency which is why they only fly to destinations in Mexico that have heavy demand from the US for leisure travel.

I've heard this is a hurdle for the Canadian cities as well. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Looks like BLI, DTW and BUF will have to do for those going to/from Canada.

JasonLaird10
Explorer C

You know, I also would love to see Southwest add Lexington KY, Phoenix-Mesa AZ, Provo UT, Chico CA, Redding CA, Medford OR, Bismarck ND, Rapid City SD, Everett WA, Visalia CA, Santa Rosa CA, Arcata/Eureka CA, Santa Maria CA, St. George UT, Laughlin/ Bullhead City NV/AZ, Lake Havasu City AZ, Chicago/Rockford IL, San Luis Obispo CA, Port Angeles WA, Trenton NJ, Twin Falls - Magic Valley Regional ID, Merced CA, Palmdale/ Lancaster CA, Yakima WA, Topeka KS, Roanoke - Blacksburg Virginia, Wilmington Delaware, Atlantic City NJ, Burlington Vermont, Springfield-Branson Missouri, Cedar Rapids Iowa, Dane County Wisconsin, Ogden UT, & re-add Newark NJ to their roster of destinations. If Southwest did that, that would literally be really super awesome. I do know that Southwest already does fly to Chicago O'Hare, Fresno/Yosemite, Honolulu & Maui, Jackson, Miami, & Palm Springs for sure😊

floridaguy
Aviator C

There was a lively debate recently where Knoxville TN was debated.  Southwest told me that they have no plans to add Knoxville and even though the airport had spent a fortune in upgrades, Southwest was not interested.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest is severely short   pilots. It is also short of planes - with Boeing several hundred planes in arears over the last few years,

Neither shortage is expected to be resolved over the next few years -  thus I would expect almost no expansion while those shortages exist.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I like things the way they are.  

No more airports to the list, please.