Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Southwest should start flying to these cities

MRY-SMF
Explorer C

Fresno/Yosemite would be a good addition. It's currently served primarily by regional jets. The city itself has a population of almost 500,000 and is the 5th largest city in California, Fresno County is home to one million people, and the San Joaquin Valley is home to over 4 million people. However, the two closest Southwest cities are Oakland (170 miles) and Burbank (200 miles). Since Southwest markets itself as California's airline, FAT would be the logical next step and would fill the gap between the Bay Area/Sacramento and Southern California.

Monterey is in need of more service, but I don't know if it could generate the traffic needed to fill 737s. Then again, a lot of people drive to the Bay Area in search of cheaper flights and a low fare option that isn't Allegiant's once a week flight to LAS might draw a lot of passengers.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I agree, anything, NORTHERN CALI, (EUREKA) would be great...

jksobonya
Aviator A

I'm so entertained that you mentioned Wilmington DE ... :smileyvery-happy:

I didn't think that any major airlines serviced that airport - it's rather small and for private planes, or so I thought. If you look at their web site http://www.flywilmilg.com/ their arrives/departures info is essentially blank / under construction :catwink: 

If you try to book a flight from ILG to ... basically anywhere (I tried ILG to MIA on cheaptickets.com as an example), the instructions literally say to take a train to 30th Street Station and fly from the PHL airport :catvery-happy: :catvery-happy: :catvery-happy: 

--Jessica

tiffanieteel
Explorer C

Add Bozeman, MT to the list. More tourist than to Billings, I bet.

czbb
Explorer C

The biggest miss on that list is BLI/Bellingham WA

While Whatcom county only has a population of 220,000; it borders metropolitan Vancouver (Canada), with a population of 2½ million, and plenty of those people actually live closer to BLI than to YVR.

Flying US domestic routes from BLI vs YVR gives an airline  a 40-50$ price advantage, by avoiding the taxes/fees placed on international flights.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@czbb wrote:

The biggest miss on that list is BLI/Bellingham WA

While Whatcom county only has a population of 220,000; it borders metropolitan Vancouver (Canada), with a population of 2½ million, and plenty of those people actually live closer to BLI than to YVR.

Flying US domestic routes from BLI vs YVR gives an airline  a 40-50$ price advantage, by avoiding the taxes/fees placed on international flights.

Since this is a customer to customer forum, you would be better served by providing your suggestion directly to the airline. Here's how:

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-...

SW is aware of the value it provides to Canadian customers. It serves lots of them out of a similar airport on the other side of the country: Buffalo.

sell925
Explorer C

Please add Eagle/Vail to this list.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

While you're at it, Bring back, MEXICO CITY.  🙂

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

While you're at it, Bring back, MEXICO CITY.  🙂

This seemed like one of the strangest routes to be clipped. I’m not sure of all the factors in play there that made this a route to drop. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

🤘