Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest to Service Chicago O’Hare International and Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee

Chicago O’Hare International Airport

Work is underway to add new service from Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD), alongside existing service from our longtime Chicago home, Midway International Airport (MDW). Midway remains one of the busiest airports in our network. Since first arriving in Chicago in 1985, Southwest has grown into one of the city’s largest employers with more than 4,800 Chicago-based Employees.

George Bush Intercontinental Airport

As Southwest approaches a commemoration of 50 years of flying, Southwest intends to return to Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH), complementing our substantial operation at Houston Hobby (HOU). Intercontinental served as one of three airports where Southwest operated on its first day in operation, June 18, 1971. Southwest moved to Hobby Airport shortly thereafter though we operated service from both airports between 1980 and 2005. Southwest remains a key employer in the City of Houston, providing nearly 4,000 jobs.

Service to both airports is anticipated to begin in the first half of 2021. Additional details, including schedules and fares, will be available soon. Visit Southwest.com for more information.

Tiffany
External Communications
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Southwest to Service Chicago O’Hare International and Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport

dfwskier
Aviator A

surprised the heck outta me.

Re: Southwest to Service Chicago O’Hare International and Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee

@dfwskier , we LUV to surprise our Customers! 

Tiffany
External Communications

dfwskier
Aviator A

@TiffanyV wrote:

@dfwskier , we LUV to surprise our Customers! 

More than surprising United?

TiffanyV
Employee
Employee

@dfwskier, I see what you did there. 😉 

Tiffany
External Communications

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

How about surprising us with going to an airport city that there isn't already an option to fly to...LIKE, Sioux City, IA, Missoula, MT, Fargo, ND, anywhere in Canada or Alaska.  I'm sure this move will benefit people like, Blake, and others.  Keep thinking outside the box SWA and get us to more places.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

How about surprising us with going to an airport city that there isn't already an option to fly to...LIKE,   

Palm Springs Hayden and Montrose?

edit add: Miami

bec102896
Aviator A

YAY! This will make going to see my niece and nephew in Houston way easier! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I would have said that something like this would never happen.

This is further indication that so many things will be very different post-COVID.

I also think it's a positive sign that Southwest will do whatever it takes to survive.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Food is cheaper at George Bush than Hobby. Other than that, I like Hobby. Hopefully, this will not mean fewer flights to/from Hobby.