Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Suffix on passport still not accepted at the kiosk

_john
Explorer C

My wife and I were traveling to Mexico and the kiosk worked perfectly for her so I know it was not an international issue. It does not work for me. What I get is that the customer name comes up wrong when it tries to match the passport

I get a format that looks like 

John Q Jr Public

instead of 

John  Q Public Jr

I verified that the Jr is in the suffix field on my account.  The only upside is that if someone else is traveling with me they get a boarding pass and that has let me use the express lane (if available) and the person at the counter can then print my ( and only mine) boarding pass. And they always say that the kiosk doesn't work with Jr. 

What can I do to make this work? Do I need to move the suffix to my last name field? I've had to do that for other countries. But I really don't want to mess up my TSA pre and global entry as well.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Suffix on passport still not accepted at the kiosk

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You'll want to speak with Southwest to make the changes.  I don't have any specific ideas about what changes would work best so hopefully Southwest has seen this before and knows what can be done to make the process easier for you.  Use the contact us link below, I'd suggest sending a message as it make time to research the solution, something phone agents just don't have.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Since this is a customer forum, you really need to contact SW instead. Do so by clicking on "contact us" below

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Curious what Kiosk you are referring to and at which Airport? At BWI, Southwest requires an in person document check before issuing a boarding pass even though you've checked in to the flight the day before. Then they stamp the paper Boarding Pass, "Docs Okay."

Have they automated the system at other international departure points to avoid this manual "check-in"?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Have they automated the system at other international departure points to avoid this manual "check-in"?

It's been a few months, but if I remember correctly Denver utilizes kiosks and the check-in agent does not look at the passport. At the gate they just wanted to see that you had a passport.

--TheMiddleSeat

_john
Explorer C

It was pittsburgh and cancun. I had issues with the last passport as well. Very annoying 

kiddjt
Explorer C

Just had this same issue at BNA. Very frustrating.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Most software systems attach the suffix to the last name, or there is a separate field for suffix.  

Agree that you need to contact Southwest and have them align your name in their "system" to your passport.