Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

When will Costa Rica flights resume?

ellensue74
Explorer C

Costa Rica is open...trying to plan a trip there.  Wondering if/when flights will resume with SW to Liberia and/or San Jose?  

Called SW CS, useless!

Thanks for any information

25 REPLIES 25

Re: When will Costa Rica flights resume?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lol, useless? Ever think that maybe Southwest has not announced a date and therefore customer service reps wouldn't know? And no one here would know either until Southwest announces it. 

--TheMiddleSeat

MarkD
Explorer C

I sent the question through the "contact" page on the SW web page.  I got the canned COVID response.  Then I sent a second question that was more specific that stated something to the effect...."Even though many of your competitors (e.g. Alaska Airlines, United Airlines) are flying to Costa Rica during this COVID pandemic, can you tell us when Southwest might possibly start flights to Costa Rica again?" .  Crickets....nada....nothing. 

You would think that SW could at least let their loyal customers know when they "might" start operations again.  I just paid over $900 for a ticket on United Airlines even though I have 600K frequent flyer miles on SW. 

I'm now considering switching back to my United frequent flyer credit card instead of my SW card since I can't use my SW card (I got my Chase Southwest card  specifically to use to fly to Costa Rica when SW first started service there)

If SW could just say something of value to us....

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@MarkD Southwest (and probably every other airline) doesn't say they might do something. Nothing will be said until there is a final decision about resuming service. If you want to fly there now then feel free to fly United.

--TheMiddleSeat

MarkD
Explorer C

No kidding.  As I just stated on another post, I felt free to spend $900 on United even though I have 600K of SW frequent flyer miles.  It didn't feel "free" to me.

Re: When will Costa Rica flights resumeo

dfwskier
Aviator A

Give the airline a break. It in all likelihood  hasn't announced a date because it doesn't have one yet.

When it does, it will announce it.

Feel free to contact SW Customer Relations tprovide your opinion

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Submitting-a-Suggestion-and-or-Complaint/ta-p/8724...

robh1975
Explorer C

Slightly different question - we were scheduled for a family trip to Costa Rica last summer, obviously postponed. We need to take this trip this June to avoid losing large deposits on rental house/hotels. We have $1000s in SW credits/points from the cancelled flights last summer, so we are wondering if there is any chance SW would resume Costa Rica flights by June or since they are already selling tickets for other destinations out till Nov 2021, will mid-November be the soonest they would resume flights to currently suspended destinations like Costa Rica?  Probably no one knows, but we feel a bit like we are playing roulette.... do we buy non-refundable tickets on another airline for ~$3000 or wait out SW? Thanks.

dfwskier
Aviator A

No one knows for sure, but I wouldn't hold my breath to see whether or not flights resume

by June.   

You could hold off on purchasing tickets elsewhere - if the risk of higher fares isn't significant  - to see what happens with SW..

bec102896
Aviator A

reillyj31SW
Explorer C

Any updates on when Southwest will resume travel to Costa Rica?