Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: When will Costa Rica flights resume?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@reillyj31SW wrote:

Any updates on when Southwest will resume travel to Costa Rica? 

All updates will be posted on the page linked above.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

The most current information is included in the link provided in the post immediately above yours:  "not before January, 2021"

MarkD
Explorer C

It's April now and still nothing.

MarkD
Explorer C

I saw this canned answer.  I wonder why Alaska Airlines and United Airlines (and others) are not having the same disruptions.

surflesssoul
Explorer C

Still no updates from SWA even though Car's been open for months. 

???

CostaRicatravel
Explorer C

I really wish someone at SW could give some insight here.  I too switched from another airline (American) to Southwest because of the Costa Rica flights.  I am now an A-list and companion pass member and have over a half a million points along with money in travel vouchers (from cancelled CR flights) sitting in my account.  It would be great to know if they are planning on resuming flights at all this year, next year or never.  Thanks!

PeanutFares
Explorer C

I am in the same situation as many of the other commenters with a large amount of pandemic related cancelled flight travel voucher funds and rewards travel points.

There was an offer to exchange the cancelled flight travel funds to reward points, but I was anticipating the flights resuming from / to SJO which never occurred, and I missed the deadline for the exchange option.

So basically I have expiring pandemic related funds that need to be used or lost. The only reason that I invested in the SW ecosystem was for the flights to and from CR.

I am not looking for an exact date when flights will resume, but as others have asked for anything to indicate that it is the companies intent to resume flights to CR. Even a broad time frame would be helpful, such as within the year 2021 or 2022 for me to decide how to plan my CR travel for the remainder of this year or next year.

It would also be nice to offer the exchange of pandemic related cancelled flight travel fund vouchers for reward points once again. Or to extend the expiration date further for the pandemic related cancelled flight travel fund voucher.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@PeanutFares wrote:

I am in the same situation as many of the other commenters with a large amount of pandemic related cancelled flight travel voucher funds and rewards travel points.

There was an offer to exchange the cancelled flight travel funds to reward points, but I was anticipating the flights resuming from / to SJO which never occurred, and I missed the deadline for the exchange option.

So basically I have expiring pandemic related funds that need to be used or lost. The only reason that I invested in the SW ecosystem was for the flights to and from CR.

I am not looking for an exact date when flights will resume, but as others have asked for anything to indicate that it is the companies intent to resume flights to CR. Even a broad time frame would be helpful, such as within the year 2021 or 2022 for me to decide how to plan my CR travel for the remainder of this year or next year.

It would also be nice to offer the exchange of pandemic related cancelled flight travel fund vouchers for reward points once again. Or to extend the expiration date further for the pandemic related cancelled flight travel fund voucher.

No airline is going to guess about future routes. Why? Guesses turn into assurances in people's minds. So if a guess  turns out to be wrong, some people are going to scream

"But you TOLD us it was going to happen."

That's why airlines don't guess about things that have not been decided.

After it's decided, the airline will let you know.

SW does allow people to convert expired travel funds into vouchers.

a) It must be done within 6 months of the expiration date

b) vouchers are good for 6 months

c) vouchers may be used by anyone

d) current cost is $100 / travel fund

Have more than 1 travel fund? Use up to three of them them to buy a ticket. Then cancel that ticket, and you've  turned up to three $100 fees into one $100 fee Do it again, and you've got up to a 6 for 1.

It is pretty easy to find $1500+ next day travel Business Select  RTs if you have lots of travel funds. 

Klaz88
Explorer C

ksbrg
Employee
Employee