Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Where are the Nonstop Flights from PHL to MCO?

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

@jksobonya wrote:

How can American have multiple daily nonstops to FL airports but Southwest has literally none? MCO nonstops on Saturdays only? It makes zero sense honestly. 

A couple things:

1. Aircraft and crew shortage - Southwest is a "point-to-point" airline and wants to offer that nonstop network, but shortages lead to some routes needing to be once weekly, these are usually tight/small leisure routes.

2. Direction of demand and airline networks - the direction of demand is from Philly to Orlando. American has big hub in Philly while Southwest has big hub in Orlando. Frontier has bases at both airports. Spirit has base in Orlando as well. Due to the direction of demand being southbound to Florida, American and Frontier are going to capture most of the Philly locals due to rewards program membership. Spirit competes more with Frontier, hence the three daily flights despite having their base in the opposite direction of demand. Southwest would more compete with American on this route which is difficult.

Looking at another airport. Washington-National (DCA), Southwest has two daily to MCO with five on Saturdays. Same southbound demand. This route has flights from American, JetBlue and Southwest. JetBlue has the smallest marketshare between the three at both airports. American is largest at DCA, Southwest is second. Southwest is largest at MCO with American in 4th. Due to Southwests strength at both airports, they are better able to compete with daily flights. Compared to Philly where Southwest is in 5th place.

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

BryanW
Explorer C

I do not understand the rationale by Southwest with offering no direct flights from Philly to Orlando.  Every flight I have ever been on in that route has been packed, yet they are only offering non-stops on Saturday.  BWI is offering multiple non-stops a stop.  The simple reason seems to just be a Southwest pullout of Philly which stinks because the credit card payout on anything other than flights is a terrible exchange.

dfwskier
Aviator A

My motto has always been " I prefer to fly Southwest, but if Southwest does not fit my travel needs, then I fly someone else."

jksobonya
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

The more I think about this the angrier I get lol. 

How can American have multiple daily nonstops to FL airports but Southwest has literally none? MCO nonstops on Saturdays only? It makes zero sense honestly. 

--Jessica

Just an update to say that I got very excited when I saw one PHL > MCO nonstop on a weekday lol

They are slowly adding more of them ... one is better than none 🤣

--Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

Please come visit Florida and leave behind those tax dollars so those of us who live her don't have to pay any takes.

Many thanks.