Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Which Airport to Connect Through

ElaineB
Explorer C

Hi. Getting ready to book  a flight and can choose between two airports, neither of which I've been to. One is Austin and the other one Denver. Austin, connection time is 50 minutes and Denver is 85 minutes. Flying Southwest for the connection. I would imagine that Denver is the bigger of the two airports, and don't know if it really matters but thought I'd ask to get more information. Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Which Airport to Connect Through

floridaguy
Aviator C

I think the better question is what is your origin and destination?

ElaineB
Explorer C

Flying out of MSY into LGB or LAX. I haven't decided yet but most likely Long Beach, CA.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Assuming this flight is within the next few months, based solely on the limited info you have provided, I would connect through Austin. Denver can be tricky in the winter, you never know when a snow storm will roll in. Of course, snow in Denver can easily affect every other city Southwest flies to so avoiding Denver doesn't just magically make everything better. 50 minutes is a somewhat tight connection, but if first flight is on-time you should have no problem. I would also consider overall travel time. Does connecting in one place versus the other add 2 hours to the total trip? Maybe that matters to you. Another factor to consider is time of day and if there are other flights to your destination from the connection point scheduled after your ticketed flight. Knowing there's another option if you miss the connection is reassuring. Since you didn't provide other city information you'll have to determine that answer.

--TheMiddleSeat

ElaineB
Explorer C

Thank you for your reply. My return flight is late November, flying from MSY to LGB. LAX would also work if I miss my connecting flight. I was just trying to avoid LAX since it will be a zoo since it is Thanksgiving weekend. 

jksobonya
Aviator A

Denver!! It's not only the biggest airport in the US, but it is the largest operating base for Southwest - Austin, on the other hand, is one of the smaller airports. Denver would give you more options, plus it's a longer connection time. 

--Jessica 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Ease of transport thru airport: Austin

Longest walk between gates: Denver

Largest number of flights: Denver

Thunderstorm risk in Spring: Austin

Snowstorm risk in winter: Denver

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Ease of transport thru airport: Austin

Longest walk between gates: Denver

Largest number of flights: Denver

Thunderstorm risk in Spring: Austin

Snowstorm risk in winter: Denver

I know that @bec102896 might have some insights into AUS and I haven't been yet, but DEN is great with the amount of food and coffee available, even an Amex lounge if that's your thing, so personally I'd be happy with an 85 minute layover in DEN, and if it is lunch or supper time make it 2.5 hours I'd like to stay and eat.

It is a lot more walking I'm sure. The whole AUS terminal is 600,000 sf and DEN is 2,600,000 sf. That doesn't include the concourses which C concourse is probably larger than all of AUS airport.

Southwest has seven gates at AUS - you can probably see them all standing in one spot - I'm not sure if the new gates are open at DEN or not but they'll have 40 total gates soon if not already.

I recommend Dazbog Coffee.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:  - I'm not sure if the new gates are open at DEN or not but they'll have 40 total gates soon if not already.

The new Denver gates were open in mid July. They are much nicer than the old ones.

It is a VERY long walk from one side  of C Concourse to the other side. I'd guess approaching a half mile and a 10 minute walk

bec102896
Aviator A

Austin is nice for local food and less of a walk between gates SW only has 10 gates at AUS all next to each other so 50min is an easy and quick connection.