Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why can't Midwest and East Coast travelers find Southwest Airlines return flights from Hawaii?

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

There has been a lot of discussion about the availability of SW fights from HI to the east coast. The way SW’s schedule is set up at this time, it is simply not possible to get from HI further east in one day. But all hope is not lost! As a work around, you can book a flight from HI to CA and then a second flight the next day on home. It’s actually a great opportunity to get some rest or see some of the great state of CA as part of your vacation.

Check out the breakdown here. And learn more about how to book a return trip east here

-A List, Companion Pass holder
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Why can't Midwest and East Coast travelers find Southwest Airlines return flights from Hawaii?

bec102896
Aviator A

Another idea if you don't want to stay overnight in CA you can book to other locations like LAS where you would have a connection in CA but could stay overnight elsewhere if you didn't want to stay in CA. 

Re: Why can't Midwest and East Coast travelers find Southwest Airlines return flights from Hawaii?

Jkmurray13
Explorer C

I would really like to see Southwest expand their routes to get the East Coast to Hawaii. Southwest has a huge customer base up and down the East Coast with destinations like Orlando, NYC, Boston, D.C. And believe me I awaited this announcement from SW to HI for quite some time not realizing that they weren’t going to make bookings coming back an option. Using the work around option isn’t going to create any real savings with the extra hotel night in CA or NV never mind the re-checking of bags and trip thru TSA again.... The East Coast wants out SW to HI trips!!! Don’t forget about us Southwest!! We’ve been loyal too!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Jkmurray13 wrote:

I would really like to see Southwest expand their routes to get the East Coast to Hawaii. Southwest has a huge customer base up and down the East Coast with destinations like Orlando, NYC, Boston, D.C. And believe me I awaited this announcement from SW to HI for quite some time not realizing that they weren’t going to make bookings coming back an option. Using the work around option isn’t going to create any real savings with the extra hotel night in CA or NV never mind the re-checking of bags and trip thru TSA again.... The East Coast wants out SW to HI trips!!! Don’t forget about us Southwest!! We’ve been loyal too!

They will gradually be working in more destinations. Currently without red-eye flights it's a logistics problem for the ticketing software to offer connections comprehensively to midwest and east coast but look for at least some of the larger metros to get single-booking service at some point.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.