Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why won't Southwest allow point to point reservations?

Jgwagner91
Explorer C

Trying to book a multi-city flight from Bellingham WA to Oakland to Harlingen TX. The flights come up, I choose my flights, I enter my information, and then when I click "purchase" it says "unable to price." I've checked, and the prices have not changed. 

I called customer service who tell me this isn't allowed - I had to book the two legs as different flights. Why can't I book them as one reservation?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why won't Southwest allow point to point reservations?

5280Av8r
Frequent Flyer C

One reason could be because Southwest doesn't allow overnight connections. So if there is a flight that departs the next day, it has to be bought as a separate ticket. Another reason could be that Southwest just doesn't offer any connecting two stop itineraries between those two airports. Have you tried doing it with Las Vegas as the first airport rather than Oakland? Also make sure when selecting the flights that the next departing flight is at least 30 minutes after the scheduled arrival time of the previous flight since I believe that is the minimum connection time allowed.

If you do multi-city there are several options you could try:

BLI-OAK

OAK-HRL (One-stop)

BLI-LAS

LAS-HRL (One-stop)

BLI-HOU (One-stop)

HOU-HRL

Andrew E

DEN Based | Aviation Enthusiast

DEN (CLT) Based | Aviation Enthusiast | Full of Passion for Southwest

Jgwagner91
Explorer C

Hi Andrew, when I did a multi-stop search for BLI -LAS - HRL, same-day options with two long layovers were available to me, so it wasn't an overnight or short layover issue.  I added them to the cart, and went to check out and it said it could not be completed. I called customer service, and they could not book it as one trip, either, but had to book as two, saying that point to point reservations are not allowed. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I just booked BLI-OAK-HRL on Feb 17 as a single reservation.

TheMiddleSeat_0-1644424258861.png

I did both legs as Anytime fare because WGA is not available on the OAK-HRL segment.  I seem to recall hearing that you can't mix fare types on a single reservation so perhaps that's your problem?  Saying point to point is not allowed is not accurate.

--TheMiddleSeat

Jgwagner91
Explorer C

Thanks for your help, but I don't know what happened here. I booked on March 24 from BLI to LAS to HRL. It wouldn't let me book online and when I called, I was told they couldn't do it on their end either, and that "point to point flights aren't permitted." Both flights ended up being booked separate, with a 3 hr layover in Vegas, both on WGA fair. 

It was same day travel, long layover in Vegas, all same fair, so IDK what happened. Thanks for y'all's assistance though. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Some clarification is definitely needed here.  Are you trying to complete this trip on one single day?  If you have specific dates, sharing that might help folks troubleshoot as well.

On the positive side you will earn 2 flight credits towards status instead of just one if you book the flights separately.  I'm curious as to why you are so set on having it be one flight, any particular reason?  

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Some clarification is definitely needed here.  Are you trying to complete this trip on one single day?  If you have specific dates, sharing that might help folks troubleshoot as well.

On the positive side you will earn 2 flight credits towards status instead of just one if you book the flights separately.  I'm curious as to why you are so set on having it be one flight, any particular reason?  

--TheMiddleSeat

Yes, maybe checking luggage through? Let us know.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Jgwagner91
Explorer C

I am trying to complete the trip in one day, but that's not really what I'm asking. I want the one reservation so if a flight gets delayed or cancelled that Southwest will then take the responsibility of rearranging the flights on the same reservation instead of my having to figure it out with two separate reservations.