Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

confused on international flight schedules

etandrake2
Explorer C

Flight svhedules from DTW to PVR  in Feb. are confusing ?

I can fly from DTW any time Jan. or Feb.  to PVR  , But can not return to DTW from PVR at any time in late Jan. or Feb.  ? How ever I can start to return in March 7  ?

Why No return flights to original departure city if flights are going there all the time???

6 REPLIES 6

Re: confused on international flight schedules

etandrake2
Explorer C

Friends are looking to go there via SW but with NO return flights in FEB.  they are going tobook Delta NON STOP !!!!!

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

It appears that the return route may be seasonal.  I know that seems strange, but based on demand and the season (especially for tropical, international destinations), schedules can vary greatly!

I always hate to miss out on flying Southwest.  Last year, it hurt me to fly another airline when we went to Europe.  You could fly SW to PVR and then take a different airline on the way home.  Just a thought.

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, it makes no sense to me either. There are wide swaths of January and February without PVR/DTW service. Service does seem to return in March. I can't explain it.

I think you only have a few options:

1) Travel starting in March

2) Build your own return connection - starting with nonstops to either Houston or Denver (or other cities)

3) Fly Southwest DTW/PVR and a different airline PVR/DTW

4) Fly another airline  RT in January or February

Sometimes taking another airline makes sense.  Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Well, it makes no sense to me either. There are wide swaths of January and February without PVR/DTW service. Service does seem to return in March. I can't explain it.

I think you only have a few options:

1) Travel starting in March

2) Build your own return connection - starting with nonstops to either Houston or Denver (or other cities)

3) Fly Southwest DTW/PVR and a different airline PVR/DTW

4) Fly another airline  RT in January or February

Sometimes taking another airline makes sense.  Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

I would dig a little further into where the planes are going from PVR when they return stateside. Most likely there is a problem making a match in the same day, without a long layover, that ends up in DTW. There probably are viable pathways, they just don't come pre-packaged as a PVR to DTW route.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@etandrake2

So I did a little digging while on my flight tonight and it looks like the reason you can't book PVR to DTW is there wouldn't be enough time to connect 

for example on Jan 30th there is a 2:20pm flight to Denver arriving at 4:40pm and the last flight to Detroit even with a connection leaves Denver at 4:45pm so 5min is not a possible connection 

if you flew to Houston the flight leaves at 2:35pm arriving at 5pm the last flight with a connection from Houston to Detroit leaves at 5:10pm so same situation 

You could do an over night in Houston or Denver as well if you wanted but for building a same day itinerary it doesn't look possible for PVR to DTW 

hope this helps

Blake 

etandrake2
Explorer C

It would be interesting to see if any one is actually booking round trip flights to PVR from DTW  in Jan. or Feb.  can't be done now !

I think SW is loosing out by not adjusting some flight schedules by 1 hr. at least a couple per week so a round trip flight could be booked.

SW needs to do there home work and step up there coustomer service.

Its like bookig flights only 6 moths out.  People planning a international trip with time shares , or a crusie book airfare most of the time a yr. in advance.