Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

quarantine

debski15
Explorer C

Does anyone have any information on the restrictions chicago just made on traveling after July 9? I heard quarantine.  Does that mean I will be stuck there for 14 days?  I need to see my father who has cancer but I also need to work.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: quarantine

bec102896
Aviator A

Anyone traveling from

• Alabama
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Nevada
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah

To Chicago, Illinois will be required to self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days.

This is effective starting July 6 until further notification is received from the city of Chicago’s official website.

usually this means you must stay  at one location (house or hotel) for 14 days or the duration of your stay if staying less than 14 days. If you are able to go before July 6th you could avoid the mandatory quarantine. 

For more information, visit the city of Chicago’s official website.

-Blake 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well, that affects me. I was to fly DAL/MDW on the 6th.

Unfortunately, it appears that SW has again eliminated the ability ability to change flights without paying the additional fare.

bec102896
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Unfortunately, it appears that SW has again eliminated the ability ability to change flights without paying the additional fare.

The free change waiver is on a family members July 12th flight and their July 24th/26th flights so you could change to the cheap date then you get the waiver. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

The free change waiver is on a family members July 12th flight and their July 24th/26th flights so you could change to the cheap date then you get the waiver. 

Thanks for the suggestion Blake. I'll probably wait till the 5th to try. SW could add it back again for my flight. If not, waiting doesn't cost me  thing.

debski15
Explorer C

How are they enforcing this?  I was strictly going from airport with a carry on to a house and returning 4 days later with a carry on.  There was no need to touch anything.  Everyone must wear a mask, so why is this an issue?  Are they telling us masks don't work?

bec102896
Aviator A

@debski15 wrote:

How are they enforcing this?  I was strictly going from airport with a carry on to a house and returning 4 days later with a carry on.  There was no need to touch anything.  Everyone must wear a mask, so why is this an issue?  Are they telling us masks don't work?

I've heard some places you have to fill out a form when you arrive with your quarantine location and turn it in. After you leave the airport I'm not sure how they enforce it unless they have someone come to your address for a check in but that sounds like a lot of work to me. 

I know in Hawaii they had some people who wouldn't stay in quarantine so they were sent back home. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@debski15 wrote:

I've heard some places you have to fill out a form when you arrive with your quarantine location and turn it in. After you leave the airport I'm not sure how they enforce it unless they have someone come to your address for a check in but that sounds like a lot of work to me. 

I know in Hawaii they had some people who wouldn't stay in quarantine so they were sent back home. 

When Texas imposed it's quarantine, it said it would send State Police periodically to see whether or not people that were supposed to be at a place were really there. Don't know if it ever did and don't have any idea what Chicago might do.

rljourney
Explorer C

Set up a Ring doorbell at your home. Someone comes to your house to "enforce" anything, you can communicate with them and they won't know where you are. If you are "quarantined" for this virus, what are you going to sit there talking to them at the front door? Doubt it! 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm personally telling you, Masks do work!  Since I don't live in Chicago I can't answer that, each state has a protocol in place when you land, or not.   Just depends on when you land, and how you may be able to get by.  I would say that 80% of the people who fly are like you, sadly, that 20% who aren't are why this is an issue.  Since it is a mandate presented by the Governor of the state, SWA has no control over it.