Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

question about changing flight return days

naofomi
Explorer C

Question, have a round trip flight already booked for mid August from Boise idaho to Ontario California, booked online last week

Flights are currently 1 week apart, return after 1 week

Something just came up and I need to be in Ontario for 2 weeks not 1 week

Called southwest, they said it's an additional $100 to change it

Ok so the whole round trip only originally cost a little over $200, now they said pay another $100 just to come back a week later

The website says they don't charge fir changing

The flight doesn't even leave till August 17

Thanks for any help on what I need to do

2 REPLIES 2

Re: question about changing flight return days

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

There is no "change" fee, but the fare itself is probably higher on the return flight on the day you gave the SWA rep on the phone. I would recommend you go on line and make the change/edit on the return flight and consider maybe a different time of day OR returning one day Later or Earlier this can have a dramatic effect on the fare. You can also look at the fare prices before you edit your reservation just by typing it in as a search on a one way trip so you can shop the prices more effectively.

Safe travels

Re: question about changing flight return days

dfwskier
Aviator A

Every airline handles it the same way.

Anytime someone tries to travel on a day than is different than on the original ticket, that person has to pay the prevailing price for that flight. In essence it is treated as a new ticket, and you are using the dollars from the original reservation to pay for it.

If the new flight costs less, you get a travel fund for the delta in price.If the new flight costs more, you have to pay the delta in price.