Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

standing in aisle - being told to sit down

Unmilkedcow123
Explorer C
I was surprised how I was told to sit down on my recent flight to Cabo because we were flying "over international waters" or something to that effect. We weren't over international waters. We were flying over the mountains and deserts of central Mexico. I was standing near the lavatory because it was occupied and I was waiting my turn. So like a good obedient passenger and law-abiding citizen that I am I went to sit down. Then this lady gets up and TAKES MY TURN. This was not fair. So I complained to the flight attendant. Her response was that she was "sorry." Does American Federal law really apply if we are flying over Mexican airspace? Help me Southwest community. Why am i being punished and forbidden to use the bathroom because I want to obey the rules? can we find a solution to this stupid regulation? I did a google search for federal regulations and I found NOTHING in this FAA document that I could not stand in the aisle. Here is the link t the document that I found: http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8900.1/V03%20Tech%20Admin/Chapter%2033/03_033_006.htm
2 REPLIES 2

Re: standing in aisle - being told to sit down

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Unmilkedcow123,

We ask all Customers traveling on international itineraries to remain seated during the final 45 minutes of flight, regardless of whether the aircraft is over water or land. 

Re: standing in aisle - being told to sit down

Unmilkedcow123
Explorer C
As a human being with needs, what I want to know is when do I get to pee? It is bad enough that most travel is dehumanizing, as customers we are being treated like cattle. I guess there is no answer. I should write a letter to my congressman? I am not satisfied.